Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I'm trying to get back into aquaria after a bit of a hiatus, I've decided to bring the 20 long in my basement out of retirement. That means I'll have 2 tanks: a 20 and a 29. Both take the same size lights, 30" fixtures.

I currently have the following...
1 1x65 watt Sattelite PC Fixture
1 2x18 Coralife T5 fixture
Both of which were on the 29 gallon tank for a bit. 1x65 seemed to do pretty well, but the coralife was a cheap upgrade when I was considering a 2x65 fixture.

So my question to the seasoned aquarium veterans...what would you do?
I don't know if a 2x65 vs. a 1x65 watt fixture on a 29 gallon would do much for me besides create algae issues. I don't mind how fast plants grow...as long as they grow [smilie=n:

As far as the 20L goes, it'd probably be used as a cherry shrimp tank. With intense lighting, I know I'd need to make sure it has pressurized CO2 too. Would such a setup be worth it for a 20-Long, or are the varieties of plants that would do well in there so limited that I should just make it a lower light setup?

Oh, and a final thing I forgot to mention. I do have a 5 lb. CO2 tank setup. The 29 gallon is pressurized (well, will be pressurized when it gets re-setup).

Advice would be appreciated! Hopefully I made some degree of sense.

(Oh yeah, and on a slightly off topic topic...what would be a good filter for a 20L shrimp farm? :cool: )

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
When I had a 29 gallon tank I found that 2 x 55 watts was a bit too much light for what I wanted to accomplish. It forced me to heavily prune twice a week, and watch my CO2 like a hawk every day. When one bulb quit on me I went for two weeks with a single bulb and it did much better. So, I put two 36 watt bulbs in it, and that was perfect. One 65 watt PC should be plenty for a 29 gallon tank.

The 20L tank is rather shallow, so it doesn't need as much light as regular tanks need. 36 watts of T5 light would be just about perfect for it, in my opinion. I suspect you could grow virtually any plant you could keep from growing out the top, and grow them very well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had a 29 gallon tank I found that 2 x 55 watts was a bit too much light for what I wanted to accomplish. It forced me to heavily prune twice a week, and watch my CO2 like a hawk every day. When one bulb quit on me I went for two weeks with a single bulb and it did much better. So, I put two 36 watt bulbs in it, and that was perfect. One 65 watt PC should be plenty for a 29 gallon tank.

The 20L tank is rather shallow, so it doesn't need as much light as regular tanks need. 36 watts of T5 light would be just about perfect for it, in my opinion. I suspect you could grow virtually any plant you could keep from growing out the top, and grow them very well.
Thanks hoppy ;) You're probably right. I think I did pull the 'more light' card too early, especially when my fertilizer regiment wasn't very good and my CO2 diffusing method was pretty bad also. I guess even a 1x65 watt PC fixture, along with ferts/pressurized CO2 on a 29 gallon should grow virtually anything too? Would I be okay with ground cover plants (glosso etc.)? If that's true, I think keeping the 1x65 on the 29, moving the T5 to the 20L, and hooking up the CO2 to the 20L might be the best option...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts