Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering starting another planted tank using a standard 120 (4x2x2) and I was wondering if I could get by with T-8 or T-12 lights. The tank will be primarily crypts with some anubias and java ferns. I know T-5's have better penetration because that is what I'm using on my reef but the bulbs are so much more expensive and I wouldn't mind if this tank was a little cheaper to run.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mabuhay!

@hydroman
I'm considering starting another planted tank using a standard 120 (4x2x2) and I was wondering if I could get by with T-8 or T-12 lights. The tank will be primarily crypts with some anubias and java ferns
----the plants that you mentioned will thrive in a low-light environment and there are many people out there who uses t8s-t12s in their setups. since this is el natural are you gonna dose CO2? If im not mistaken you have to aim for at least 2wpg for most low-light plants to thrive.

just my two cents worth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try to avoid adding co2. The issue I keep seeing come up is people saying that T-12's won't work on a 24" deep tank. Is that consistent or contrary to people's experiences?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Here's my experience on a 2 ft. deep 180 gallon tank

Lights where 640 watts of T12 VHO. Very old bulbs. Let's say the bulbs actually produced 500 watts of light because they where so old (+ sold by a very popular but undoubtedly crappy US company).

I replaced these bulbs with 160 watts of T5HO.

Results - hard to explain... All the crypts I had in this tank started to pearl less than 2 minutes I turn the new T5HO on. How do 160 watts of any light compare to about 600 watts of T12 VHO?

Since then to me there is no better bulb than the Giesemann Midday T5HO. For your setup I bet you can use one 80 watt of these bulbs and have outstanding results. Also these bulbs have an amazing color, no other bulb or combination of bulbs compares to it.

--Nikolay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts