Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a lot of trouble deciding on a light fixture for a 20g long tank. I am using the Walstad Method and going by the book (Ecology of the Planted Aquarium). Should I stick with the T8's or is there better lighting that I should consider?

·
Super Moderator
5,791 Posts
T8s are OK, especially if they have a good reflector and because a 20 long is a shallow tank. I am planning to set up a 20 long in the near future, and I will probably use spiral compact fluorescents from the hardware store in desk lamps. The 6500 K "daylight" type have always grown plants well for me and I like the color.

·
Super Moderator
5,791 Posts
Any kind that holds the SCF vertically rather than horizontally, and has a decent reflector. The vertical position gives significantly more light than horizontal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting... How many of those desklamps would you use for a 20 long? I was going to use a desk lamp on my 5 gallon Dario Dario tank once I get it started.

·
Super Moderator
5,791 Posts
Right now I have 2 clamp lights over a 20 tall, and that works well. I will start with 2 over the 20 long and add a third if I don't get even light spread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased two 8" stainless steel clamp on shop lights with 13w CFL spiral bulbs (6500k) I will clamp them on for now, until I cam build I suitable rigging. I will start with two, but may move up to three if there is not enough light.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just bought one of those shoplights too and hung it over my aquarium with a 6500K spiral; it looks very nice! Great suggestion Michael!

·
Super Moderator
5,791 Posts
I'm glad you like it. Many people who are new to the hobby feel like they have to spend buckets of money on lighting, and it isn't necessary for small and medium size tanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased two 8" stainless steel clamp on shop lights with 13w CFL spiral bulbs (6500k) I will clamp them on for now, until I cam build I suitable rigging. I will start with two, but may move up to three if there is not enough light.
How much did they cost..?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm glad you like it. Many people who are new to the hobby feel like they have to spend buckets of money on lighting, and it isn't necessary for small and medium size tanks.
Are the lamps you speak of labeled as incandescent but work with cfl bulbs? Also, what does SCF stand for. haha.

·
Super Moderator
5,791 Posts
No, they are the common compact fluorescents with screw-in bases like incandescent bulbs. "SCF" is "spiral compact flourescent". I make the distinction because we use a lot of compact fluorescents on aquaria that are u-shaped tubes with pin bases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, they are the common compact fluorescents with screw-in bases like incandescent bulbs. "SCF" is "spiral compact flourescent". I make the distinction because we use a lot of compact fluorescents on aquaria that are u-shaped tubes with pin bases.
I seem to be confused, sorry. I keep coming across fixtures like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_203213-1373...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= and assume thats what your talking about. I'll keep looking and thx for the info.

·
Registered
468 Posts
They sell the exact same thing for reptiles, too... They might be a little prettier, but cost more since they're marketed for pets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's it--not pretty but it works.
Great! What lamp fixture would you recommend thats more pleasing to the eyes? Also, what wattage would be sufficient for two fixtures with low to medium light? I currently have a 10g with stock 15w light growing italian vals, dwarf sag, najas and bacopa in plain gravel. Its not pretty to look at. haha. Its more like a grow out tank i guess. I want to try my hand at scaping my 20g long without spending a lot so I wanna make sure I get the right stuff. thx again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They sell the exact same thing for reptiles, too... They might be a little prettier, but cost more since they're marketed for pets.
Didnt know they could be used for that purpose too. I have the ones labeled for reptiles over a box turtle enclosure. Wish I would have known earlier, could have saved some money. Thx for the tip.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Another option is to use incandescent aquarium hood fixtures and just screw in the CF's. They cost a little more, but they look presentable, and they'll cover the whole tank.

I'm pretty sure the reptile ones will work all the same (cough exactly the same product)

It's been awhile since I've kept lamp-requiring reptiles though, so the fixture may be wider? Though I seem to recall screwing in a regular soft-white in an emergency once so it should fit all the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 2 fixtures I have are zoo med 8 1/2 inch clamp lamps. Exactly like the ones in the lowes link just black in color. They also cost 3 times more! crazy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts