Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a 10 gallon that I started as an NPT about 3 years ago and I am very happy with it. Recently I purchased a 30 gallon breeder that I would also like to plant using the el natural method.

I'm a little unsure about how much lighting I should get for it though. It's only 12" high, the same as my 10g, but if I follow the 2 wpg rule, I'll need about 60 watts for it. That seems like a lot for such a shallow tank. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the matter?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Welcome to APC!

Sixty watts per gallon on a 12 inch high tank is not a lot of light once the plants are established and growing well. You may want to start it with less light especially if you start it sparsely planted. It is always good to start with some easy to grow species. (See our PlantFinder for a list of easy to grow species. Pick hardiness: easy)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the help. I've got a pretty good idea of what grows well thanks to my 10g. I know that one got off to a rough start since I planted it too sparsely. I hope to avoid that mistake this time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts