Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am currently running a 30 glln planted, with a 30" PC 55watt fixture. I am looking at upgrading the lighting to a 36" T-5 HO 78watt fixture. I am using the AGA 8000K bulb right now, and really like the look of it, and the plants are doing well. I was wondering if I went with the T-5 fixture would it really be much of an "upgrade"? I have not had the T-5's before, and wasn't certain if they would perform as well as the PC's. Also, is there a commercial bulb for the T-5's that runs at about 8000K, I really like the color rendition at that kelvin rating versus something at 6700K or 1000K. Look forward to input, thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My research tells me that the T5 is far more efficient, about 200 to 400%, than the standard bulbs. I just ordered the Tek T5 for my 125 gallon freshwater tank and am anxious to try it out. I was told not to use actinic bulbs except for salt water reef tanks. When researching the bulbs I did not see one at 8K. The ratings were 6K, 10K and 11K. I have also learned that when using the T5 at over 2wpg CO2 supplementation is preferred. Finally, you will have to modify your ferts and trimming habits. I hope this helps and I will let you know how my new system works out. I should get it in the next few days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts