Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, (and gals), I need some suggestions on lighting please.

So I am looking at the JBJ picotope or a a nano-sized tank for planted FW setup, right? It's going to be small, open top, and I would much prefer an over-the-tank lighting option. Too bad I can't get the cute Arcadia lighting. What are my options?

The most convenient (and easiest) for me of course is to just grab the picotope. But can I use the actinic bulb for FW planted tank? I don't think that's advisable, isn't it? Correct me if I am wrong on this...

By the way, I move slow, especially during research phase. So please pardon my posts all over in the various sub-forums. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Indignation,

Thanks for the leads. I will definitely check out Catalina. I want to start small, but the ADA tanks are damn tempting. I felt the same way about actinic bulbs, but someone from JBJ emailed me back assuring me it would not be a problem leaving it in. I still think I will go change that out if the picotope ends up being the tank I get my hands on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember the amount of lighting you have will dictate what type of plants you can grow. I would decide what plants you would like and if you will or will not use co2.
Naturally. I need to consider that as well. I should get all the equipment ready before even thinking of live beings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As for the lights, I think its a matter of personal preference. Do remember you will lose 1/2 your usable light if you keep the actinic/daylight bulb.
I am most likely not going to use the actinic...I don't think it is that essential to FW tank, is it?

Thanks for the Catalina website. I have finally found someone who makes over-tank lighting fixtures that allow for length adjustment. So, let's say I am looking at this:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_76&products_id=1232

It takes two 13W PC bulbs. So, I am assuming this would work?:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_45_122_124&products_id=986

W/g guideline is not as important to me as the depth of the tank. In any case, assuming the tank is a 10g tank with a depth of no more than one foot, I would have 2.6w/g of light. Also assuming moderately planted and the plants lean towards high light plants.

What do you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts