Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at two lighting options for my freshwater 20g High tank and would appreciate some feedback on them.

Current:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204839/product.web

Coralife:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209668/product.web

I'm interested in placing Java Ferns, Anubia Nana, and African Swords. I'm curious as to which one you feel is a better choice as far as quality and lighting. Current is approx $10 cheaper, but I rather spend the extra money if the Coralife is a better unit. Thanks in advance for your time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't looked at DIY or retro kits. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the cost be basically the same as the Current and Coralife sets I listed? Is the light output better with the DIY or retro kits?

Currently using a full hood; however I also have a glass canopy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't looked at DIY or retro kits. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the cost be basically the same as the Current and Coralife sets I listed? Is the light output better with the DIY or retro kits?

Currently using a full hood; however I also have a glass canopy.
AH supply wouldn't be any cheaper, especially since you'd need to buy the bulb. Plus the AHSupply light doesn't come with moonlights like the Current one. The only plus (IMHO) to AHsupply is their high quality reflector system. And you'll have plenty of light from the Current fixture so increased reflectivity is pretty low on the "value-added" scale, in this case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Current is a nicer light, I think. However, with the plants you've listed (I assume you mean Amazon Swords?) that's a lot more light than you need. With just those plants and that much light you'll have algae problems. Those plants would all grow easily under standard fluorescent. Unless you plan on going with some stem plants or something that much light is probably more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
395 Posts
nemo, if you want some really good bulbs i would look at www.reefgeek.com

they also have the best reflectors available and you can buy the ballast from them. T5 Giesemann bulbs they sell and they are really way better than those bulbs that are in the coralife and current fixtures. if you go with giesemann then you dont need as much wattage than if you went with the others. there is just no comparison. just my 2 cents.

the only issue could be that you would have to use an old housing or build one for yourself which can be super cheap and fun. its up to you.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts