Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried looking through the posts, I might of missed it, but i'm looking for a schedule on a burst of light in the middle of the day and how much that extends my current schedule. I am basically looking to get more light in the day.

I run 3.6 wpg on a 72 gallon bowfront somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 hours depending on how much I crank my Co2 up. I am looking to run a burst 2-3 hours in the middle of the day all 4 T8s and then running only 2 T8s the rest of the period.

So basically instead of running 7.5 hours, I would like to run 10-11 hours of lights, 8 of that being half light and 3 being the full 3.6 wpg, how will that effect my high light plants and growth etc. Or, should I just leave my lights on 10 hours a day and crank my Co2 higher?

Minimal fert, excel, medium Co2 1.5 bps (haven't measured ppm, I just watch fish), plants are cut really low right now. About 10 diff kinds of plants.

High light plants : HM(baby tears) that's prob about it for high. Although everything else loves it high.

Appreciate your insight and info on my ramblings.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The afternoon burst should be about 1 hr in length.

If you have everything in balance such as light/ferts/co2, then you shouldn't have a problem running the light for longer periods. However, if you start to see algae problems, you would need to cut your lighting period back some

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'll keep playing with it and seeing how the green goes, both ways, plants and algae. The normal algae is not really an issue with so many bottom feeders / algae eaters, it's the BBA I am currently killing off that is my main worry, but the Co2 and excel is taking care of that, (and true SAEs, who are three times bigger in a month). 1 hour bursts eh, can I do more than 1? Obviously that is not like nature, but just curious.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, nothing wrong with having a longer burst period. Most keep it to 1 hour but it really depends on how things go with your tank, etc. You could always do a 2 hour burst and see how that goes and adjust from there if you see algae issues.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I have a 72g about the same amount of light 260watts. I use a 3 hour burst, but I limit my lighting to 8.5hrs. Increasing light past 8 maybe 9 hours is a no-no in most cases, since I don't believe most plants will utilize light that long so the algae gains an advantage. That being said I thing everything is relative. Increasing light duration would probably require more maintenance to keep things in check. But if your having some algae issues know I think it's pretty obvious that you shouldn't increase duration.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alrighty, I agree with you on the lighting, I recently dropped from 9 to 8 hours and my algae is receding nicely. I went ahead and put it on 9 hours with a 3 hour burst in the middle, I shall see how the plants and algae react. Hopefully it doesn't throw off my angels as they are breeding.

Thanks for the advice and information, I appreciate it. :clap2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts