Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello APC...

So today I had a little journey to a distant, wonderful aquarium petstore that has 50x more plants, fish, and supplies than any other store near me.

Let's just say I bought some plants on impulse; I had wanted them a while before (3-4 years ago).

These plants are lilaeopsis novaezelandiae, "giant hairgrass" and dwarf hairgrass. I would attach pictures of them, but I lost my camera at the moment. Also, the giant hairgrass...isn't hairgrass? There is an obvious difference between the dwarf and the giant; not in size, but how each "leaf blade" looks.

I shall attach a picture once I find my camera.

Anyway, the main point is that I have these plants in my 29 gallon that has...a 30 watt light on it + a DIY light fixture my brother made; it holds two CFL bulbs (the ones that save energy, use it around your house..those.) that are equivalent to two incandescent 100 watt bulbs (in brightness; I think they are about 70 watts each? I have to check; I'm slightly in a rush tonight, have a lot to do...:()

Anyway, I'm going to try to relay this to you as detailed as I possibly can..I forgot the name of the type of light fixture this is; I want to say "spotlight;" a short, cylindrical pyramid (I'm sorry, I'm really out of it today; there is probably a name for tha- cone?)

**Try to keep up; I'll restate what I want to know at the end** I have a "cone" spotlight light fixture with a 100 watt CFL in it (cheap budget atm; it only costs like 20 dollars or so for each light fixture + bulb). This light fixture is REALLY bright; enough to nicely light the bottom of my ~40 gallon hex tank, which is about 2 feet deep.

Okay, so here is the issue now that you know that:

I want to replace, or add onto the DIY light fixture that my brother made with one of those "spotlights" so that the plants I bought have slightly brighter light :D (I have co2, ferts, but I have ONLY pea gravel; yesyesyes I know how big of a mistake that was >.< but I have root-tablets).

Will it look "odd" with one side of the tank lighted brightly, with another side not as bright? (on a scale of brightness, the portion with the spotlight would be about a 8/10, while the other portion would maybe be a 6/10) .

Also, would this affect my anubias in the tank?
Sorry you had to read all of that; this novice isn't having the best day and that's the only way I can explain my setup >.< :confused:
Thanks though! :p:D(If you wouldn't mind, I would also like to know how much light is TOO much)

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
... and you couldn't have made a typical cfl fixture?... well by spotlight i assume you mean the ones they put outdoors for those motion sensing burglar lights? and if it equals 100 watt incandescent than its either a 26 watt or 23 watt, it can't be 70 watts. and yes it will look extremely weird with different light intensities, unless you get some vals or something for the part with less light so its 'shaded'... and no, your anubias would actually benefit from the less light. pictures would really help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... and you couldn't have made a typical cfl fixture?... well by spotlight i assume you mean the ones they put outdoors for those motion sensing burglar lights? and if it equals 100 watt incandescent than its either a 26 watt or 23 watt, it can't be 70 watts. and yes it will look extremely weird with different light intensities, unless you get some vals or something for the part with less light so its 'shaded'... and no, your anubias would actually benefit from the less light. pictures would really help.
Sorry, I was so out of it.

Anyway, by spotlight, I meant those. How do you describe this. You know in the movies (have never seen one actually where the chef serves a dish on a plate with tha- heres stockphoto of what I mean by chef

http://www.crestock.com/images/1060000-1069999/1065076-xs.jpg

It's in that shape; I was just throwing out random guesses as to how much watts it was (I honestly don't remember).

I have valls on the OTHER side of the aquarium (long story short, light doesn't reach there, so it's more shaded, but need light in that general area).

" ...and you couldn't have made a typical cfl fixture?"

On a scale of 1-10 as to how good I am with lighting DIY and anything lighting related..(10 being the best)....I would be about a -20.

Thanks for the reply though, was helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
sorry if i offended you, just that, its a bit inconvenient to be making a larger light fixture when simple cfl bulbs and sockets would have made work and costs easier, pm me, and i can help you set up a typical cfl fixture. in short, keep the bulbs the same wattage otherwise it will look weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts