Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here in quite a while, and I'm glad to see some of the 'old timers' (and I include myself here :) )are still around, as some of them will remember some of the stuff I'm about to ask here....

Anyways, a 50 gallon Oceanic (old timers will remember) currently lit by 2 AHS 48W CFL's (again, showing , my age)...I want to replace these dinosaurs with one LED fixture. I'm a big believer in the KISS principle, so I want to plug ii into my timer and have the lights come on and off as they do now....on a little after the CO2 starts up and off a little after the CO2 goes off, currently a roughly 9 hour photoperiod.

I'm debating between the Finnex FL48, and the Fluval 3.0. I know the Fluval has all sorts of bells and whistles, and I don't really expect to use the dawn/dusk features etc. The tank is 30" wide, and the Finnex comes in 30" width. The Fluval would have to be the 24" fixture, but from what I've read, the light output from the Fluval is much stronger than any other LED fixture out there, so I would hope it would make up for the lack of width. Plants are Crypts and Anubias, though I do occasionally throw in a stem or 2 of some type.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome!
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I think the Fluval will have more PAR. It depends on what you're aiming for.
I love the color shifts since you can light your tank at night like moonlight and not affect the plants.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also hail from the time of fluorescents.

I have several of the Fluval 3.0 Fresh on tank setups that were previously lit by HO fluorescent tubes.

Very pleased with the Fluval. Plenty of warm natural light, no algae of any kind. I use the factory default profiles which I find to be very natural and rich.

You have to connect to it initially using a phone app to set the time for the internal scheduler. The app is quirky but once you figure it out it’s very straightforward. Again I just used the factory profiles which I have been happy with.

Good luck.

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Welcome back @Bert H ! +1 for the Fluval 3.0, excellent fixture, excellent warranty, excellent service. -Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts