Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as of this moment I am having alittle troubles with algae in my tank. So I was going to just leave the light on for 3-4hrs aday for alittle while until I can control the problem. Would this be ok for my riccia? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
How many days are you planning on doing this? I would just leave the light period alone, manually remove as much algae as possible, perform a 50% water change, and try to get the tank balanced out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
when i had a little trouble with algee, i put a towel around my tank so there would be no extra light in the tank durring the day and i left the light on for only 3-4 hours per days. the algee died off quickly and never came back. just be patient and even though you cant see any algee, do it for a couple extra days just to make sure that the algee is all gone. i have riccia also and they do die back just a little, however after the algee is gone, the riccia comes back like crazy. perhaps its all the extra nutients.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i did this with hair algee only. i know it is easy to get rid of and i think this is why it worked so well. however tougher algee might not work so well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gomer said:
the first questions to be asked is:

what type of algae?

tank size? WPG? CO2, NO3, PO4?
Algae: Short single filament of green algae on glass, Cyanobacterium on wallachi, erect moss, but its black instead of blue/green.

Tank:15G
WPG:3.7
CO2:?
NO3: 0ppm
PO4: 0ppm

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Cutting back the lighting is not going to help get rid of the algae, in fact it will slow up plant growth and you need good plant growth to help suck up nutrients that the algae feeds on. Keep your lights on for at least 10 hours daily.

First thing I see is N03/P04 at 0, not good. You need to add N03/P04 to get the readings up to 10ppm/N03 & 0.4ppm/P04.

Second thing you need to know is your C02 reading, it is important to maintain a reading between 20-30ppm. Get your C02 reading by testing your PH/KH and use this calculator: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

All this will help the control of algae before it gets out of hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts