Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im really starting to realize everything that goes in to maintaining your plants. im looking to put in a good quality light strip that will benefit my plants, and my fish. i just dont know as far as bulbs, and lightstrip what to get that would be the best for the money. looking to spend about $200. i have attached a pic of my tank so you all can somewhat see the fish and plants i have. its a 55gal. with just normal typical lightstrips, all glass hood.

1 common pleco
1 blue ram
4 gold skirt tetras
2 corys
6 otos
2 fantail goldfish
4 harlequin tetras
1 hill stream loach
1 cherry barb
2 mini puffers

i know, odd mixture, but everyone gets along very well. puffers are a little hungry, notice the little plastic container on the left. snail transporter from snail farm. :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually was looking at the same coralife you first linked to. i currently fertilize with Seachem comprehensive. i also have a small co2 system, nothing fancy, just the one from the LFS that has the canister, and bubble counter. i will be somewhat overhauling my gravel and putting in some flourite (flourite?) since i have quite a few swords, and i was told that swords get most of their nutrients from the roots and not the leaves. i have that large sword on the right, which i have grown from a sprout, a nice size melon sword, its hard to see, its behind the driftwood. and then the typical amazon swords. i recently added some ludwig (spelling) and an ulvaceous. the ulvaceous is a little too fragile for my tank, so will not be there much longer. yes, i would like to have a well planted tank, the plants i choose will have to be hardy to put up w/ the goldfish and pleco, and somewhat low to give swimming room. mostly swords. i would like to get more melon swords.
thanks for the help, thats the light i was looking at, and actually found it for $199.

what bulbs would you recommend, since there are 4 sockets for 4 different lights.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand you aren't supposed to mix "tropical" and "goldfish", but fancy goldfish do require warm water, and all the fish get along quite well. as i said before, the only ones that have issues are the mini puffers, and that is because we did a huge cleaning of snails and unintentionally wiped out the snail colony. it seems i have relatively few fish for a 55g, only three large fish, and the rest small. im also running a tetratec 350, and penguin 175, and a small submersed power head for water circulation. (didn't mean to sound too rude or offensive about the fish i have :D) im not looking to go strictly plant only, i just enjoy watching them grow, and how they make the environment look. i couldnt get rid of the goldfish, they're awesome.
im apprehensive about using a DIY co2 system, i've heard too many stories about them overflowing or bursting, and the pressurized systems are a little too expensive. i may just get another hagan for the other side of the tank.

concerning light bulbs, i was told that (swords especially) need a lot of light, and i have been thinking about going mainly swords. but just concerned on how different lights would affect the fish also. and would the 2x65watt COralife be sufficient for my swords?
thank you all very much for all the help. :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will take your advice and do lots of research since the "boss" has set this light set as my b-day present. :D so, off to do lots of research on lights and plants.
thanks to all for the help. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.