Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 100 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, thanks to everyone who contributed all the great information to this thread. It was very informative and I learned more about aquarium plant lighting in the last 10 minutes than I have the past week researching online.

My question is what would any of you recommend for a bulb on my older 36" fixture/w reflector? (It takes a single full length 25-30 watt T-8 tube)
I have looked at many different brands and basically want a tried and tested product that yields good results for the planted aquarium, since I do not have the newer compact fluorescent or T-5 HO fixtures.
I was looking at getting this one http://www.1000bulbs.com/F30T8/34029/ what do you all think?

Currently I just have some Java Fern and Java Moss growing in the tank but would like to get some other plants in the future.
All opinions/recommendations welcomed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
First off, thanks to everyone who contributed all the great information to this thread. It was very informative and I learned more about aquarium plant lighting in the last 10 minutes than I have the past week researching online.

My question is what would any of you recommend for a bulb on my older 36" fixture/w reflector? (It takes a single full length 25-30 watt T-8 tube)
I have looked at many different brands and basically want a tried and tested product that yields good results for the planted aquarium, since I do not have the newer compact fluorescent or T-5 HO fixtures.
I was looking at getting this one http://www.1000bulbs.com/F30T8/34029/ what do you all think?

Currently I just have some Java Fern and Java Moss growing in the tank but would like to get some other plants in the future.
All opinions/recommendations welcomed.
out of the ones available in the link, the one you're looking at is clearly the best.
The other 6500K tube has a CRI of 75, and the 4200K (which I would've recommended before I saw the CRI) has a CRI of a low 62. Horrible.

6500K will give you very bright white/bluish light. It is a personal preference, and differs from person to person. I am into the 5500K bulbs, but they're difficult to get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems a big mistake to speak about light for water plants using the investigation of spectrum distribution in water (as Amano did it).
Because:
1. Light energy of Sun billion times more than aquarium lamp can give. Even in shadow areas.
2. Lot of aquarium plants in nature are amphibias (can grow not only in water).
3. And most important - they are coloured in the same way, as other plants.

What it mean? The same pigment system. The same physiology. The same "reflected green" - what we see as colour.

It's understandible if a man or a company manufacture something and selling something. ;)
It is no doubt that green lamp can work for plants - in it's spectrum there are red and blue too... And if it's plenty of light (as recommed now, as it is "default" for planted tank) - spectral distribution is secondary, it is "additional question".

And it is also the answer, how bolbitis, or something like it (what normally prefer shadow) "beutifully grow under strong green light and wery poor in shadow" - because physiological power of green lamp is not high.

It's a billion of ways or approaches in aquariumistik.

But at least one is wrong from any side: the changing of scientifical knowledge for "industrial knowledge", which is sometimes starts together with some "special" aquarium stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Powerglo question then.. please

so ... here i stumble across this great post After i went out and bought TWO Powerglo´s.

A friend of mine convinced me they were the best bulbs for plant growth. It says 18´000k on the packaging , but assuming that was its range i looked at the drawing of they´re spectrum estimate on the packaging.

Would be better off with a 6500 and 3500 combo than using the Powerglo at all ?

My vendor only carries Harden , so any advice on two fluoros from Harden for my aquaplantarium would be immensly appreciated .

Thank You kindly...i really dont know who else to ask

jut

·
Registered
123 Posts
Newt, I agree, and the info is really helpful, I learn some basic theories of relationship between light waves and plant photosythesis.
But, about the lights, I have a simple question, what is human eye conception of red light + blue light.
It looks green, isnt it(visual scale, not traditional blue-yellow-red)?
plants under a 6500k light may look more green but doesn't necessarily mean the light bulb is wasting energy. Its light waves distribution is around green light, of course, may peak at the green. Plants would still benefit from 6500k since the distribution of light around green is most sufficient than other lights bulbs with different K. That is why a 6500k bulbs are always called "day light" bulbs in store

Visual (red-green-blue) color wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm thinking of getting two of these

Odyssea 65W Compact Fluorecent Bulb (6400k/ Color Enhancing Spectrum)

----

And also getting two of these.

Odyssea 65W Compact Fluorescent Bulb (50/50)

----

After reading a bit, which is hard for me to understand. A bit of blue and red is needed. Would this suffice for my 95 gallon tank, money is a big issue at the moment. I have a coralife fixture but wishing to change the bulbs. They take 65 watt straight pin ones (x4)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
If that last picture of the blue and white bulb is an actinic then pass on by. Actinic doesnt do much if anything for FW plants. You can get a good CF that has a good spectral output without using a colored bulb.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If that last picture of the blue and white bulb is an actinic then pass on by. Actinic doesnt do much if anything for FW plants. You can get a good CF that has a good spectral output without using a colored bulb.
Yep the last one is half Actinic blue, 99% sure of it anyway. Can I ask what is a CF is?

If I used 4 of them pinky/red ones instead, would that be an issue?

I've heard of the 9235k ones on here, but unsure it would fit into my fixture. It takes 21inch, 4 pin bulbs. Most I can have is 65 watt in each one.

It's been so long since I've upgraded my lights, about 15+ months. Before I just went by WPG but this thread changes it for me, but baffled still :D . I've recently started the PPS pro so want to start afresh

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
CF = compact fluorescent. Same thing as PC = power compact.

The 9325s are 55watt but if you have 4 pins straight in a row it is a 2G11 base and is the same size.
The Philips PLL950s are nice or Sylvania studio or Dulux 54 (both 55 watt).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Would 55watt be strong enough for me? for a 95 gallon tank I could fit 4 of them in.

I'm guessing the lights I have at the moment are useless. 2 lots are daylight and the other two have blue tint. They cost me near 250 dollars :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
I think the 220 watts is enough for most plants. Your tank may be a 95 gal but the amount of 'open water' is less. You need to account for the inside dimensions minus volume of substrate and decorations, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you very much Newt. Like I told you in my private messages, I was a salt water geek for years. I had a very nice coral tank set up for years (75 gal). I dug out my 48 inch flour. bulbs, I used 4 of them. I did some research on them, 2 bulbs had a cri of 96, and 2 acri of 86. The color was awesome on the coral. I did not know about lighting. I used the bulbs because my petstore guru, talked me out of spending hundreds of dollars on a fancy lighting system. Your thread was awesome. Made me do alot of reading on lighting to understand what you were getting at. To me thats a good thing. A gain thank you very much for your fast replies on my private messages. Hope to see some new threads from you on other topics in the future.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think the 220 watts is enough for most plants. Your tank may be a 95 gal but the amount of 'open water' is less. You need to acount for the inside dimensions minus volume of substrate and decorations, etc.
I have this tank

just a totem head, bit of bog wood and two small pipes thats all i have really. my lights are on clamps if that makes any difference, i have no lid

Are the 9325's considered daylight bulbs? Just trying to understand a bit more. I'm so clueless.

If you recommend me 4 bulbs for my tank I'll go and buy them online, you seem to be a brainiac at them all :D I only really have polysperma, bacopa monnieri, anubias, sagitaria, java fern's and some other weed stuff. I've had bad luck with exotic or hard growers so far, but willing to go for it again

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Cool looking tank!

I dont by any means know all lighting or lights.

A lot of people love the 9325s. I used to use them but didnt like the low CRI and at the time wasnt able to find replacements for a good price. So I went to the Philips PLL950s.

With the four slots you could do (2) 9325 and (2) bulbs with a high CRI like a Philips PLL950. Its 5300K and a CRI of 91 or some other day light bulb. The 6500 to 6700k bulbs tend to all have too much green. Yuck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cool looking tank!

I dont by any means know all lighting or lights.

A lot of people love the 9325s. I used to use them but didnt like the low CRI and at the time wasnt able to find replacements for a good price. So I went to the Philips PLL950s.

With the four slots you could do (2) 9325 and (2) bulbs with a high CRI like a Philips PLL950. Its 5300K and a CRI of 91 or some other day light bulb. The 6500 to 6700k bulbs tend to all have too much green. Yuck.
Thanks man!! and thanks for your advice too. If I find a site with them two on, I'll let you know. I don't know why they are so expensive to buy here, so much cheaper ordering from the states, but then they stick 45 dollar delivery charge on, but yet it still works out cheaper :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Philips bulbs should be easier to get in the UK than here in the States. They are made in Poland.

Philips Ecotone 55 watt CF
PL-L/950/4P HF
5300 K; 91 CRI: 3800 lm
UPC# 8-711500-633842
Order Code: 633842

Try www.atlantalightbulbs.com for the GE9325s:
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=F55BX.AR.FSGE
Thanks mate. I am in Canada now no longer in the UK at the moment, so the Atlanticbulbs.com can be done. I'll probably ring them to ask about shipping. The top link you gave with order code, is there a site with that one?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
That's the Philips order code.

Open this link and enter in the data and ask them for the closest Philips dealer to you that carries that bulb.

http://www.feedback.philips.com/lighting/support/?

If you can't find anyone I have 4 new ones in the box I could sell you. I could get a price to ship to you. PM me if interested. I got a TEK T5HO 4x54w light for Xmas and dont use the CFs anymore.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's the Philips order code.

Open this link and enter in the data and ask them for the closest Philips dealer to you that carries that bulb.

http://www.feedback.philips.com/lighting/support/?

If you can't find anyone I have 4 new ones in the box I could sell you. I could get a price to ship to you. PM me if interested. I got a TEK T5HO 4x54w light for Xmas and dont use the CFs anymore.
Thanks for the link mate I'll check it out. If I have no luck I will let you know in private message, i'm very interested in them bulbs!

I think I'll get the two others from atlanticbulbs first off the bat, hopefully they'll knock off some of the shipping. Everywhere charges me $40 or so :rolleyes:

81 - 100 of 204 Posts