Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Same experience as everyone here: nothing dividing the bulbs from the water surface. The bulbs are kept dry by its own heat. However, two precautions you must take into consideration should you go this route:

(1) Be very careful not to splash water onto the hot bulbs as it will crack.
(2) After a prolonged blackout, wipe the bulbs dry of condensation before turning the lights back on. Otherwise it will crack.

Both scenarios have happened to me. :oops: Otherwise, get yourself a glass divider. I find them annoying because I can't figure out a way to affix them to my DIY canopy for easy removal when I need to get my hands in the tank.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rob G said:
Cs, what do you consider a "prolonged blackout?" I hope you don't mean that one should wipe the bulbs before each daily photo period begins. Do you?
Oh gosh no!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I would sooner come within 50 feet of fat-free bacon before I will subject myself to daily wipings. A prolonged blackout is one of those 2-5 day blackout regimes one would implement to kill off certain types of algae. [smilie=t:

[quote=pineapple]Better still, get some 0.25 inch acrylic/plexiglas and put that under the canopy. You can affix it by making a small ledge or using some fine wire and your imagination. If the hood is 36 inches long, affix to both ends and at least once in between to obviate the effects of bending due to heat.[/quote]
Below is a picture of my DIY canopy. I hybridized several designs found on the internet to create a convenient but easy to construct canopy. I have a hard time figuring out how to integrate a glass/acrylic partition into the existing hood. Any ideas? Remember, I only know how to drill, glue, hacksaw, and hammer. That's pretty much it. I recently purchased a powerdrill set at a garage sale. I am beginning to see why men are so drawn to these things. It sure makes tasks so much simpler. [smilie=l:

[IMG]http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=408[/IMG]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.