1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

i have the following problem and i'd like your expert advice

tank dimensions: 40"L , 16"W, 22"H approximately 55Gallons

the tank came with a "light-glo" cannopy with 2 x 30W preinstalled fluorocent tubes.
i removed the above tubes and installed 2 x 55W PC fluoros (straight pin allignment). One at the back left and one at the front right. These bulbs are 22" long and as a result, there are some dark spots in the tank (back and front corners) where the light can't reach
i have installed reflectors too, but with no significant change.
ordering online cannopy/hood sets is out of the question due to high shipping costs.

from what i understand, this is not a good setup for the plants in the back corners.

i have in mind these options and i'd like your feedback and any new ideas
a. leave it as it is
b. build a new hood and install 3 x 55W PC fluoros (one at the left back, one in the middle and one in the right front) resulting in a total of 165W of light but might leave darker places;again.
c. install opposite of the 55W bulbs, 2 more bulbs rated between 25-30W to cover the whole lenght of the aquarium. This will result in 160W - 170W of light

pleace advice.

cheers

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I might try positioning them in the middle of the tank. What kind of reflectors do you have? Sometimes with some minor adjustments, the spread of the light can be increased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cannot place them in the middle of the canopy cause that's where the ballasts of the preinstalled fluoros are placed. so i cannot dril there to secure the PC fluros in place

so the only place available, was to place them below and a little bit to the side of the 2 NO fluoro tubes. one is at back left and the other front right corners (leaving the back right and front left corners dark)

i'm going to change the position of the 2 PC for the last time and try to make space for the 2 NO tubes to run as well as a final effort to avoid making a DIY canopy

·
Registered
459 Posts
I build my own canopy's, I like to install the lights in a canopy that lets me work in the tank with the lights on and pointed into the tank.

In your situation I'd either install:
1) four 55 watt pc's, or
2)two 36 and two 55 watt pc's,
to get even light coverage.

Are T-5 bulbs available to you? You might like those options better, three 39 watt T-5 bulbs would be about perfect for a 40 inch long tank. Stagger 2 of them, one to each side to lessen dim spots, and have the third centered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts