Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While searching for help on the various forums,to set up my new tank, I came across the Walstead method and have ordered the book.:)

Meanwhile I would like some help.:confused:

My tank is 48'' x 12'' x 18'' tall.
I have Eheim 2217 and 2213 external filters.8-[

I am making a light fitting which will be fitted above the tank, under a shelf.
What type of light source should I fit and what wattage etc.
What height above the tank should the light be fitted.

Should I 'back' my tank, as it is located in a recess.

The room, my office, that the tank is in does not have any direct sun, will this be a problem.8-[

Finally can I have a Natural tank in my situation.

Regards

Iain

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
The tank's dimensions sound like my 45 gal. Nice, because the tank isn't as deep as a 55 gal and a little easier to provide adequate lighting for.

If you don't have window light, you will need to get as much light as you can overhead. The minimum would be a dual strip light with two ordinary 40 watt fluorescent bulbs. This is what I use over all my tanks. But they all are next to big windows.

Since you don't have window light, I would seek out compact fluorescent lighting. You'll get more light intensity per watt. Two 55 watt bulbs would, arranged back to back, with a good reflector probably work quite well for this tank.

An NPT is based on decent lighting, a soil underlayer, plenty of plant species for the initial planting, and water that is not too soft. Keep these 4 "must-haves" in mind as you read my book.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Your book is on order.

Two 55watt tubes with reflectors are what I will get and fit into my hood.

I will keep you / the forum, informed when I start to fill the tank.

If or should I say 'When' I need help I will come running.

Regards

Iain

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can somebody give me some information on the best type and power of heater suitable for my new tank.:D

I have the Filter, the lights are on order, and now I need to get the heater.

Regards

Iain:p

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
Can somebody give me some information on the best type and power of heater suitable for my new tank.:D

I have the Filter, the lights are on order, and now I need to get the heater.

Regards

Iain:p
The heater is the easiest part of aquarium keeping. For my 45 gal I use a 100 watt. A Visi-Therm for $17.00 from DrsFosterSmith.com would work fine. I try to keep the water temp somewhere between 83 and 76 degrees F depending on the season.

I live in North Carolina with moderate temperatures. For Scotland, I'd get a 150 watt heater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts