Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you consider growing algae to be growing plants then, yes :)

In all seriousness, my Mum has a 15 litre hex with a 25w incandescent bulb and the java fern & moss I put in there grows... very slowly. Brown & green spot algaes seem to light growing in there too.

The WPG rule completely goes out the window with incandescents by the way. If you can, upgrade to standard or compact fluorescant lighting and you will have a lot more luck.

There is plenty more information available online so I won't rehash something you can read elsewhere. Good luck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt. said:
Tank size?

Also do you mean the twisty, compact fluorescent bulbs?
my tank is 29 gallons and i can use either or what would be better? are the twisty compact flouresent ones good?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Standard fluorescent bulbs are your normal straight ones, and compacts are the ones that are also straight, but have higher wattages.

The twisty ones are screw ins and you usually lose a certain amount of light due to the "twistiness" of the bulb

·
Registered
459 Posts
If your options are standard incandescent or compact fluorescent 'twisty' bulbs, definitely go with the compact fluorescents. They produce more usable light than incandescents and not nearly as much waste heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts