Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aquarium of one sort or another for 30 years.

I now have a fish only 55, and have a new 90 waiting in the garage. I really wanted to set up another reef tank like I had 12 years ago. But I don't like all the work/maintaince etc. Dont get me wrong, my tanks look nice, but I like the simple life.

My 55 has a ehiem 2229 wet/dry cannister filter. I also have a HOB filter for it. They are probably going on the 90. The 90 came with a 110 watt compact flor. light.

Is there any plant species that would go in there and not need C02, suppliments etc? Java fern? The only residents that will be staying are 5 clown loachs that are 3 or 4" long, and maybe some dwarf ciclids and angels. Kinda up in the air on the new set up. Flexible if there is any way to get a low maintance tank going on.

If I were going to get a C02 set up, how long would a 20 pound bottle last? (I realize the 2229 would have to go) The natural ph here is 7.8, and fairly hard. Do I have to do anything to ph?

Please, no "do a search" responces! :^) I have been reading a bit already, and am fairly up on it, just want to confirm that i am probably just gonna order a whole bunch of crappy plastic plants...

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Ack no plastic! Im confused though...which tank are you planning on planting? I like to stick with around 2 watts per gallon of light, laterite in the substrate, lots of fish, and lots of fish food. This usually works out pretty well for me and I dont have to do a lot of maintanence on the tanks. hth

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am convinced I am going to a planted tank. Never know until you try right?

The 55 is being moved out, then new carpet installed. I have just moved the 55 btw. Then the brand new 90 in the garage goes in. I am ordering the flourite substrate now. I was going to get red for somthing new, then decided that natural was better. I could see getting sick of the red...

The tank came with a 110 watt cf light, and i'll get some "easy" plants that require less light.

Anywho, should be setting up the 90 soon. Is there a place that puts a "package" together of live plants for a given tank size? Like the live rock guys get for there reef tanks from TBS? Or just 'ala cart?

I have a bit more reading to do....

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Lots of places around that offer plant packages. I personally have experience with AquariumGarden.com, but there are quite a few places that sponser APC that offer package deals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts