Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My L. aromatica is losing it's lower leaves. There was a problem with light reaching the bottom for a few days but i HAVE JUST TRIMMED IT. It is in no way as thick as the ones I have seen on this forum but still losing leaves. I am doing EI dosing and the tank parameters are within normal limits. I keep my NO3 from going below 5 and dosing Plantex CSM+B three times per week as per EI. Not sure what could be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Is this a new development after successfuly keeping the plant for many months, or has it never done well for you? Dropping leaves is usually a sign of insufficient light.

Tell us more about your aquarium & setup.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Anytime I read that someone is dosing nitrates and trace elements, but no mention of phosphates, I assume that to be the problem. Plants wont grow well at all without sufficient phosphates. I grow that plant with EI dosing, and that means no testing of anything, just dosing per the EI schedule, except that I dose about double the EI dosage of phosphates. I have 110 watts of AH Supply light over a 45 gallon tank. Is your set up at all similar to mine?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Hoppy I didn't mention it but I do dose KH2PO4 as my phosphate. All Rex Griggs reagents.

I have a 55g with 186watts, 1 2x65w Coralife and 1 2x28w T5 Coralife using 6700k and one T5 being 10000k.
Pressurized CO2 at a little less than 1bps measured with a drop checker with 4dkH solution.

I just noticed the problem after it has been growing pretty well for two months. I have noticed that this plant can be a little finicky in my tank. Every once in a while the tips on a stem will get crinkly, maybe it is suffering from a deficiency? My heater is right behind this plant so maybe the increased temp can cause but I think that is a long shot.

Oh well hopefully I can figure this out, I really like the plant.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
It doesn't sound like a light issue. I assume you're also adding K via K2SO4. I doubt the heater is an issue, after all, you're in Miami, and how often is that going to come on, even in the winter? :)

Do you add any Mg? Florida waters tend to be notoriously heavy on Ca and low on Mg, due to our limestone aquifers. My suggestion is to try a little bit of that. You can get epsom salts and add it via that route.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I do have a feeling that Mg is a problem. I will be adding it now too and will check the fert forum for dosing.

I also just realized this morning after looking at EI dosing regimen again that I am dosing 1/2 the amount of KNO3 recommended. :doh:

Hopefully I will be able to solve the problems by adding these two things.

I know that we are notoriously hard water in Miami but I live in a condo on the beach side of bay and my hardness is only 4GH. I think that they do some knid of filtration or water softening for the plumbing in the building. I have not been able to confirm this but everything is doing pretty well in the tank so I don't want to change anything.

BTW Bert were you able to find anything out about the Becoming a Supporting Member problem? Am I the only one having a problem with the link?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Just so you know, I've posted various issues about L. Aromatica for quite some time. I've had the plant for over three years now and I've always had stunting issues with it after a period of time. I tried all different dosing changes. It grew like gangbusters in my 72g with 260watts of CF light. It also grew in my 46g with 192watts of cf light. I know others have said they've had this plant long-term without stunting issues so it's a big mystery to me. The only time it seems to grow well is when I place it in a new tank.

The stunting results in almost no growth with extremely small tips.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that is good to here, sort of. Glad to know that I am not the only one having problems with it. Hopefully it will fill out again from new shoots. Hopefully my increasing of NO3 will not give a an algae out brake but we will see.

Thanks for your help everybody! Keep the suggestions coming if you've had any problems with this plant.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had this plant a couple of times and have experienced lower leaf droppage too. I just chalked it up to it being the nature of this messy, messy plant and it is no longer allowed in my tanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On that note, any suggestions for a nice replacement of that plant. It needs to cover a pretty large are in the tank and I would like someting with leaves that are similar.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf' has a very similar leaf structure and coloration. It's less prone to stunting issues than regular stellatus and will certainly be able to cover a large area. It's pretty big when growing well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I find that trimming makes the leaves small.

I used to let them grow real tall then cut them in half and replant.
the tips would grow very large this way.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I find that trimming makes the leaves small.

I used to let them grow real tall then cut them in half and replant.
the tips would grow very large this way.
I agree that L. aromatica needs to be trimmed one stem at a time, not clipped like a hedge. I also cut mine about half way, and either replant the tops, leaving the bottoms to bush out a bit, or sell the cuttings. So far they have always regrown at full size, full sized stems, with good color. I also make sure to plant only single stems, spaced at least an inch apart, so light can reach the bottoms. As they grow the growth rate increases substantially since they are getting closer to the light.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Huh. That's funny.

I let Limnophila grow to the top of the tank and then whack it hedge-like 1/2 way down. Within a week or two it looks good again and then needs another week two to reach the surface. By the time it gets close the stems & leaves are huge. I replant the tops only every three or four cycles when the lower portions get real ugly.

It might have something to do with how much of it there is and how deep the tank is. In my 180g it covers an enormous area with dozens and dozens of stems. It has lots of room to grow upward after each trim too. It sure is a mess to trim though.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Bryce, it does depend on the depth of the tank. My 45 gallon tank is obviously not as deep as your 180 gallon tank. When I referred to trimming it like a hedge, I wasn't meaning cutting it half way, but cutting off an inch or so. When my cut plants start new growth the new leaves are very tiny for the first half inch or so of growth, then they start growing out to full size as the new growth approaches the water surface. So, if you trimmed only an inch off each time I suspect you would be very disappointed.

My pruned L. aromatica grows back to the surface in a week or two most of the time, depending on just how low I do the trimming. But, if I replant the cuttings, it takes as much as a month before the new growth gets back to the surface, possibly due to having to regrow roots first (?) In any case, it remains just about my favorite plant.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
OK. That sounds about right. We're saying the same thing.

I really like it too. The red undersides of the leaves contrast very nicely with the green uppers.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
My pruned L. aromatica grows back to the surface in a week or two most of the time, depending on just how low I do the trimming. But, if I replant the cuttings, it takes as much as a month before the new growth gets back to the surface, possibly due to having to regrow roots first (?) In any case, it remains just about my favorite plant.

Hoppy,

It sounds like your still in the honeymoon phase with this psyciotic plant. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts

Hoppy,

It sounds like your still in the honeymoon phase with this psyciotic plant. :)
Yes, I haven't found it to be unfaithful yet, and no serious arguments about money. It doesn't even demand that I spend every waking hour coddling it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the stuff grows like a weed in my 20h. green drop checker, ei, 36w ahs directly over stems (also have a 20w no t12 over the front of the tank). i toss several stems every other week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.