Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both of these in my 60 Gl.
Though these plants are very healthy and needs to be pruned every 10 days, L. Aromatica remains green and P.Stellatus has a light purple color (under the leaves).

My Alternanthera is deep red and Ludwigia is light red.
I use CFL (2 x65 for 12 hrs, 4 x 65 for 8 hrs, all 6700K) and Seachem fertilizers.

What could be the reason for L. Aromatica and P.Stellatus to remain green instead of deep purple/reddish colors?

Thanks
Essen

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Alternanthera will be red under any conditions. I've never seen it otherwise. L. aromatica and P. stellatus will turn red under high light and good iron. When it doesn't color up nicely it's usually the light level IME. Your light seems sufficient, assuming newer bulbs and good reflectors. You might try increasing your micros.

How much are you currently adding? If I was using Flourish, I'd add 60ml per week and maybe 30ml of Flourish Iron on top of that.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
When it doesn't color up nicely it's usually the light level IME.

As Bryce stated I would look to the light. More than likely the CF bulbs aren't intense enough for the depth of your tank. I have L. Aromatica in two different tanks. Both have CF bulbs, but one tank is deep and the other is shallow and in the shallow tank the Aromatica has a deep red/purple color throughout and in the other it has some purple toward the top but mostly green. Both tanks have aquasoil and are only dosed pretty much with Potassium and Flourish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tank is 18" tall and have about 3.5" of substrates (Laterite/Flora Base/Flourite mix). CFLs are about 8 months old now with 3 years old reflectors. I have been changing the CFL every year.

I dose 30 ml of Flourish and Iron (1gal container lid full x 2) and 45 ml of Excel besides 10 ml of potassium, a week. I stopped dosing notrogen and phosphorus thinking that greenish due to more nitrate and a little bit a green powder on the glass due to more phos.

Thanks
Essen

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
With that much light I don't think skimping on the macros is a good idea. I also seem to get more GSA algae with low PO4 levels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Initially, I was following Seachem schedule on their web site. I thought the algae was due to more nutrient.

As Bryce suggested, I will increase the macro dosage.

Should I incease it gradually or is it ok if dose Flourish and Iron 30 ml/twice a week and Excel 30 ml every other day?
What level will be tolarent to fishes in there? It is a community tank with tetras, corys, loaches and SAEs, besides some RCS.

Thanks
Essen

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Most fish will tolerate nitrate levels up to 80 or 100 ppm just fine. I've also seen fish doing fine in tanks with 10ppm of PO4, but those tanks frequently had green water issues. I would recommend aiming for somewhere around 20ppm NO3 and 2ppm PO4. Toxic levels of these two macros are quite a bit higher than this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts