Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bunch of these and its about 1 inch from the top of the tank, its soon going to be up there, can i sut it off and replant it? can any one tell me how to do this? help please!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You best bet is to cut off as much of the top portion as you want and replant them. If you would like to increase the number of stems you have then leave the bottom portions rooted and plant the tops around the bottoms, the bottom will continue to grow andprobably even send out a few side shoots. This will double or triple the number of stems you have of this species. If you are happy with how much you currently have, then pull up the stems, trim to the desired length, replant and discard the bottom sections (in a safe place where they will dry out and not become introduced into the natural waterways;) )This technique works for most species of stemplants. Check out the Plant Finder to learn even more about individual species.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dennis said:
You best bet is to cut off as much of the top portion as you want and replant them. If you would like to increase the number of stems you have then leave the bottom portions rooted and plant the tops around the bottoms, the bottom will continue to grow andprobably even send out a few side shoots. This will double or triple the number of stems you have of this species. If you are happy with how much you currently have, then pull up the stems, trim to the desired length, replant and discard the bottom sections (in a safe place where they will dry out and not become introduced into the natural waterways;) )This technique works for most species of stemplants. Check out the Plant Finder to learn even more about individual species.
Does it Matter wher i cut it? is there a special way to do it?

·
Registered
513 Posts
jeffhardy55555 said:
Does it Matter wher i cut it? is there a special way to do it?
You just want to make sure that the portion left at the bottom has a good number of leaves. After the cut the bottom portion will begin sprout branches so that the overall plant should become bushier with time. Some people also recommend cutting towards the bottom of the node.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
david lim said:
You just want to make sure that the portion left at the bottom has a good number of leaves. After the cut the bottom portion will begin sprout branches so that the overall plant should become bushier with time. Some people also recommend cutting towards the bottom of the node.
What is the node?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The nodes (internode?) is the stalk segments between the leaf bunches... hmm.... Don't know if this makes things worse or not.

___>>>> <---- leaves
| |
| | <-----internode
| |
___>>>> <----leaves

(Half of plant, ie. missing leaves on left side)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts