Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think that these two plants would do the same in anybodys tank. There just two totally different variations. My tank is not special at all.

Now, trying to test the discus poop theory any ideas on that one? :D :rolleyes:

·
regulator
928 Posts
Nice! At least there is starting to be a little rhyme or reason to this.
although I am still mildly suspicious, only because of past experience with the L.aromatica's variable nature. I'll accept the fact that there may be two variants of the plant in your tank, experimentally I'll try to verify that. Temp this am was -15F, but warming above freezing is coming next week.

what I want to compare is your green LA vs your colorful LA vs my LA in the same tank. sending a PM to work out the details. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Genetic variability could explain this, as an example:
I grew a crop of 500 poinsettias of all different varieties, however some had to be propagated by cutting because it was the only way to keep the traits. The desired trait was a product of mutation and the chances of another mutation were very slim, so they propagated thousands of the same plant by cloning from one original plant.

I believe that most aquatic plants are probably reproduced by cutting, but who knows. That probably means some LA comes from a stock that is primarily green, and some comes from a stock that is more colorful.

BTW i have had the same experience as BMS here, two diff stocks in same tank one colorful one not... But i chalked that up to buying one as Hippuroides and one as Aromatica (Which was sold as the greener one)

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I dont have the means to get quite so scientific on this LA. But it is nice to know some of the same experiences have happened occured with different sp.

Genetic variability could explain this, as an example:
I grew a crop of 500 poinsettias of all different varieties, however some had to be propagated by cutting because it was the only way to keep the traits. The desired trait was a product of mutation and the chances of another mutation were very slim, so they propagated thousands of the same plant by cloning from one original plant.

I believe that most aquatic plants are probably reproduced by cutting, but who knows. That probably means some LA comes from a stock that is primarily green, and some comes from a stock that is more colorful.

BTW i have had the same experience as BMS here, two diff stocks in same tank one colorful one not... But i chalked that up to buying one as Hippuroides and one as Aromatica (Which was sold as the greener one)

·
regulator
928 Posts
well, I got the stems today (thanks). You aren't joking, this stuff is green! I'll still see if I can squeeze color out of it.. All the years I've kept and traded LA, I haven't come across this one. Shows what I know. :)

I'll get a space cleared out for three groupings and get baseline pics posted this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Seeing is beleiving. ;)

I look forward to seeing what color you can coax out of it.

well, I got the stems today (thanks). You aren't joking, this stuff is green! I'll still see if I can squeeze color out of it.. All the years I've kept and traded LA, I haven't come across this one. Shows what I know. :)

I'll get a space cleared out for three groupings and get baseline pics posted this weekend.

·
regulator
928 Posts
What's the word Mr.Shappard?
sorry for the delay. I've been preoccupied but I'll get some pics up this week.
so far the green LA is still green, but I haven't done much beside plant them.

it got really cold in my fishroom where I have my growout tanks,
water temps dipped into the 50s for a couple days. That's been taken care of though.
Stupid winter storms.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
No big deal. I need to take some new pics. The colorful stuff is really starting to turn. and the green is almost looking like the hulk its so green!

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
regulator
928 Posts
is there a reddish blush under the leaves of your 'green' LA? the ones you have sent me are showing that but for the most part not colorful. And they are stunted :(

I'll get pics up tonite, sorry I've been slacking so much on this. I'll try to point out one main difference between yours and mine, the number of leaves per whorl. I know I've seen discussion on this in the past but cant recall where. My Limnophila aromatica has a lower number of leaves per whorl - more than Limnophila repens 'mini' but fewer than the two samples you sent me.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
No, as you can see from the pics there still all green. Im not sure if the plants are "stunted" I will say though that the green aromatica does not grow half as fast as the colorful plants, again as the pics show.

is there a reddish blush under the leaves of your 'green' LA? the ones you have sent me are showing that but for the most part not colorful. And they are stunted :(

I'll get pics up tonite, sorry I've been slacking so much on this. I'll try to point out one main difference between yours and mine, the number of leaves per whorl. I know I've seen discussion on this in the past but cant recall where. My Limnophila aromatica has a lower number of leaves per whorl - more than Limnophila repens 'mini' but fewer than the two samples you sent me.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.