Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
regulator
928 Posts
Limnophilia aromatica 'broad'

I mentioned a variant of L.aromatica many posts back, I received it as L.aromatica 'broad'
its different than typical aromatica in that there are fewer leaves
and they are wider. I've been growing it out for a while and have a larger
stand as I try for flowers. The color behavior is similar to typical L.aromatica
but the stem also takes on a reddish purple color.
when you crush a stem - it has that distinctive L.aromatica smell. mmm...

heres some pics
submerged:

switched to emersed:
arrows point to the stems - bacopa madagascarensis is mixed in

a comparison of the three types I am growing:
the one not labeled is the one I originally kept before getting others

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Is there any chance that these are in any way related to the different sp. of pogostemon stellatus? They just seem very simalar with the under leave coloration. I know emersed flowering is where its at as far as sp. id. Have you ever grown p.stellatus emersed? If not I have some I could send you.

Also I am now just convinced that there is something lacking in my water that make plants color up. Wether it be from me not dosing or just not present in my tap water. Since I just put a new Cat Aquarium 4x24w t5ho fixture on my tank and color is still not present at levels im happy with.

I think I am going to get some TPN and see if that helps as it seems when I started dosing flourish exclusively, that is when the color started fading from my tank.

Great work as alway A.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Is there any chance that these are in any way related to the different sp. of pogostemon stellatus? They just seem very simalar with the under leave coloration. I know emersed flowering is where its at as far as sp. id.
slim chance. but yep, flowers will nail it.
In my head, the smell is the clencher - but thats not a proper ID. ;)

Have you ever grown p.stellatus emersed? If not I have some I could send you.
yes. but not in quite a while. I'm trying for flowers on P.stellatus 'fine' but havent kept P.stellatus 'broad' for a while.
You have that one? Sometimes it is accused of being L.aromatica.

Also I am now just convinced that there is something lacking in my water that make plants color up. Wether it be from me not dosing or just not present in my tap water. Since I just put a new Cat Aquarium 4x24w t5ho fixture on my tank and color is still not present at levels im happy with.

I think I am going to get some TPN and see if that helps as it seems when I started dosing flourish exclusively, that is when the color started fading from my tank.

Great work as alway A.
flourish isnt as good as TMG, but its not so much worse.
some people say all trace mixes are equal..
I cant disprove that but I have a preference.

I wish I could help - maybe this will help. before I work on color I work on leaf shape and
stem size (diameter/strength) and uptake (good grow rate without stunting).
then it'll slurp micros like crazy and color up. I dont have numbers for this..
its by look/feel for what the tank is doing. and I probably couldn't use a test kit proper
if my life depended on it.

I think (cant prove) that many dosing issues are with the combination of all things in
the water column. color is macros and micros - to me good color related to uptake.
and a stem cant color up to potential if its not really really healthy.
Ok it can.. but I dont stunt/starve for color. That hurts yield.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Man what a great thread this is. :)
Interesting thread guys. My guess would be a different variation of LA. I have grown a lot of these plants before from different sources and all usually turns really red on me. That explains why you were asking me why my limnos are that red. Maybe you can throw in a stem when we do a swap soon. See it for myself .Your green variant looks cool though.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Interesting thread guys. My guess would be a different variation of LA. I have grown a lot of these plants before from different sources and all usually turns really red on me. That explains why you were asking me why my limnos are that red. Maybe you can throw in a stem when we do a swap soon. See it for myself .Your green variant looks cool though.
I got rid of my aromatics a whe ago because in my light/co2/nutrient rich habitat it grew way too fast for me to be manageable. Maybe mr.Shappard has some of my green aromatic left.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.