Aquatic Plant Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
It seems this latest round of snow was indeed hyped up for the usual alarmist reasons. I'll vote for keeping the meet date as is, but if we're expected to have a better turnout next weekend, so be it.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Eh, I don't know that the snowstorm was over-hyped. We had a solid 4 inches at my place, and the roads were bad enough this morning that I lost traction repeatedly on the way to class. That said, the sun came out in the afternoon and melted most of it, so the roads are more or less clean now.

I still vote to maintain tomorrow's meeting.

Also, my swordplants arrived. The Tanzende Feuerfeder and Franz Stoffels are big enough to split into several plants :) Anyone want a specimen of either in the near future??

I'm there if the meeting is still on. What time does it start though?
Meetings typically start at 2pm. :D

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Thanks for coming to the meeting everyone who came! It was a pleasure as usual!
And thank you for the discus - I put him in the 37gal with the 2 discus that aren't breeding (and the kribs), and within 5 mins. he was swimming around, exploring, and hanging out with the other fish. :) Still looks a little stressed, but much perkier than he was in your tank. I suspect discus just don't like you for whatever odd reason :p

Remind me before next meeting that I owe you a 'Frans Stoffels' swordplant. Hope you enjoy the 'Tanzende Feuerfeder' ones. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good to hear he perked up. I'm convinced its the wood. The other pair I had was happy as could be in there before I added the wood. Ahh well... At least hes in a good home now.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Good to hear he perked up. I'm convinced its the wood. The other pair I had was happy as could be in there before I added the wood. Ahh well... At least hes in a good home now.
I still think the wood is harmless - I used roots off the same exact tree in the tank where my discus bred... but, whatever the case, I'll see if I can fatten your fish up and pair him (her?) off.

In other news, I still hate snow... this winter needs to end now...

...if only because I need to start shipping stuff and ordering stuff again. My invert collection needs expanding (though I've now acquired baby marbled crays)... I think I might just up and keel over if I don't start another shrimp colony in the near future... and all the sweet new plants from the AGA convention are starting to find their way onto the market and I. Can't. Order. Them. :icon_hang

Also, just for the record, my schedule this semester is a nightmare. I have half a mind to drop out in protest. The only reasons I haven't done so are a) I'd have to get a real job, and b) It's my last semester...

/end rant.

Meanwhile, observe my ingenious sketch for the invitation to our Senior Portfolio Night:

It's very... me, isn't it? :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I like it!

It would look good in metal ;)

It snowed another 14 inches on top of the 2-3 feet we already have. We are snowed in again, and I hear there is more snow on the way (saturday/tuesday). This winter is turning into a crazy one! Global warming my butt! :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I like it!

It would look good in metal ;)

It snowed another 14 inches on top of the 2-3 feet we already have. We are snowed in again, and I hear there is more snow on the way (saturday/tuesday). This winter is turning into a crazy one! Global warming my butt! :)
I'm beginning to think you believe everything would look good in metal.
Anyway, my GraphDes profs. rejected my fishy on the grounds that it had zilch to do with portfolios or graphic design, careers, or anything else. However, I was told if I could come up with a koi, that would be acceptable b/c koi are symbols of good fortune, ambition, and advancement in Asia. I informed them that one of these days I was going to drop out and become an aquatics farmer anyway, so I might as well illustrate something worthwhile...

Methinks they just don't appreciate a good fantasy fish when they see one. Nonetheless, I will share the finished koi illustration upon completion.

Anyway, our roof is now leaking under the pressure of all the melting ice. And this is the house we're supposed to be selling in the spring/summer (mind you, we've been selling it in the spring/summer for something like 3 years now, but that's my family for you... we move like a herd of turtles). Yay for home insurance nightmares.

We're supposed to get another nor'easter midweek, btw. I might just go hole up in a corner soon and pretend the world doesn't exist until spring.

I'm convinced that global warming, as presented by Al Gore et al., is a myth. Climate changes over time due to massive, natural forces that operate on a time scale larger than that of accurate modern thermometers. We have little influence on it... our current coldwave is apparently being caused by a natural oscillation of air pressure in the arctic (google "arctic oscillation" for a better explanation).

Meanwhile, Kristina and I (and our buddy Edmund who none of you know) raided Greenwich Aquaria's random spontaneous 25% off sale today, where Kristina picked up a pair of super-fancy "pink lady" guppies and I snagged 5 Beckford's pencilfish, a fern that I sincerely doubt is a true aquatic (but it looked cool), and their last bag of Red Sea FloraBase, which I will be trying in whatever tank I next experiment with... probably capped in pool sand to keep it from turning into a giant pile of water column particles.

Then we went to Norwalk's PetSmart, which I admit was fairly well-run (for a PetSmart), and wherein I purchased 10 ghost shrimp. Kristina got me a really nice pair of tequila sunrise guppies for my birthday (an annual occurrence which happens to coincide with tomorrow's date).

I must be really desperate if I'm buying cheap feeder shrimp to supplement my collection. Nonetheless, Tonny has agreed to swap me for a few CRS soon, so I'm hoping shiny new shrimp will stave off my need to acquire inverts for the time being.

The lack of readily available shrimp make me wish I could go back to my loach binge, but I've pretty much run out of places to put loaches (who for the most part attain a rather large and unwieldy size). Shrimp fit into much smaller spaces... (i.e. 5g tanks).

I also now have 2 berried CPOs. This is an improvement over the previous 1 CPO. Am still crossing my fingers for little bitty baby crays so I can trade them to supplement my latest bout of collectoritis.

BTW, random fact: ghost shrimp have this funky opalescent eyeshine thing going on that looks really creepy after the tank lights go out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol soo here I go my 1st post! Yes Amanda it was quite the dive! and I knew that clunk was bad news lol... n e who good pizza's good pizza...How do I join our club on this thingy??? and when's our next meeting? I need to somehow not plan to go outta state on our meeting day :rolleyes: ohh n people I'm not on the e-mail list yet!!! Wazz up wit that???:attention:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Hi Kristina. Good to finally see you joined up here :p There's no special joining required for our board on APC, once you're a forum member you can post on our epic board of awesomeness (except a solid portion of the content for the CAPE board is just me ranting, which you get the dubious pleasure of hearing in person. ;))

Next meeting, according to the schedule, is Feb. 19th. We may or may not be going to the Mystic Aquarium (I, for one, am not inclined to drive across the entire state in the middle of the winter, but if we meet up at Michael's place and carpool (wherein I do not drive) then I'll go. Or, if not enough people are willing to do that, maybe we'll come up with something else.

Random thought: since we don't have any plans for March, how about we do an invert-themed meeting then? I'd be willing to host it. By then I'll have inevitably expanded my invert collection, anyway. Anyone who wants to bring stuff to swap (inverts included) is welcome to do so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hahahha! yes I have finally become an APC member and I do get to hear a bunch bout the stuffs in ur life since I'm usually ur partner in crime! [smilie=p: but yea... its fun stuff! As for snow:smow: I don't see any in the 10 day forecast on weather.com :) so yay! For that! Some fun news! I set up a nano tank with some moss n driftwood n stuffs... M.T.S triumphs again!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts