Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now I am confused. I thought the "rule of thumb" was 2+W/g for tanks. But lately I see references that for the smaller the tank, that should be higher. Is there a sliding scale?

On my All-Glass 10g I have an AH Supply 1x36 Bright Kit, which (easily enough to compute :) is 3.6W/g. On my little All-Glass 5.5g I have the All-Glass 14W light which gives 2.5W/g.

I realize this is not an exact science here, but is there a mathematical formula to figure this out, or a chart and scale that would make it easier to hone in a bit on what defines low, medium, high and very high wattages per gallon for different sizes of aquaria to make it a little easier to determine types of plants for amounts of light?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If we could work our way to some determination, say by using lumens or photons per square inch per second (ha ha, IANAP*), and take into consideration surface area, maybe glass, height above surface and depth of tank... If we could determine that I would write a CGI script for it and make it available...

* I Am Not A Physicist

-Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
hubbahubbahehe said:
pers second? how bout just lumens per sq inch?? that's a lil bit easier.
I was not being entirely serious there, as I am unfamiliar with what measurements are available and usable for such a determination... :)

I would work on a public CGI script though, if we could all work toward a way to determine such a thing. I was serious about that. I do not have the knowledge or experience to do that on my own, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts