Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, the lighting rule that we have is a good starting point but it's got so many flaws.. It's like when someone goes I've got 2 wpg....but then you gotta ask...well, 2 wpg in what size tank? in 10 gallon, it's horrible...but in a 100 gallon, it's better....

Another thing that I'm learning is that light spread is extremely important... Light has got to be spread out evenly.

Also, if you have the low side of light...for example, I've got 2x65watt coralife hood over a 40 gallon long...supposedly that's a good amount of light, but it's not...my rotala is green, not red...and from time to time it rots at the stems when it gets slightly shaded.. now people have also said that this is a micronutrient deficiency...but i've got a friend with a 40 gallon tall with 2 x 96 watt hood and he doesn't dose at all and all his plants don't rot from nutrient deficiency.
which leads me to believe that lighting is the problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
pers second? how bout just lumens per sq inch?? that's a lil bit easier.

·
Registered
302 Posts
oh whoops, pardon my gullibility (haha), I will start looking for references to lumens and what not...i'll get back to you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
GP, both are equally impressive and aquascaped to a high level of skill.

For your 90 gallon, what kind of lighting do you use for it to achieve 1 wpg?

Same for your 55, is that ahsupply 4 x 55?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've never heard of 40 watt compact fluorescents, can these be obtained at the local home depot? I'm going into building my own hoods and looking for t8 fixtures at home depot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts