Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Assuming you are talking about Monosolenium tenerum, it's a relatively easy plant to grow. You just drop it and it will sink to the bottom. I like it more than Riccia as it doesn't come off and float to the surface. The shape of Mono is also very plastic; under bright light it will form smaller leaves(thallus?) while under less bright light the leaves are bigger. A very nice plant, especially for creating bush effect.

Paul

·
Administrator
7,762 Posts
My experience has always been that it will grow the largest and widest thalli under strong light.

Make every reasonable effort to keep it contained. It's a nice plant, but it can be a problem if you let it become one. Please see my signature.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
hm...wonder why? Tropica also said under less than favorible light leaves are bigger. Mine is smaller leaves in 65-W light in a 20-gal vs. larger leaves in 110-W in a 29-gal. So yes, it varies but maybe not necessarily with lighting; could be other factors as well.

Paul

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im afraid im talking on a different liverwort - its a Liverwort from Guangzhoug . did any of u got it? just got it from singapore - very interseting but have no idea what to do with it so would like to "save" it in a terrarium if possible or in a low light/no co2 tank for now

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Mor, I believe its the one I sent?

I've recently made another trip oversea and saw a different name tag on it. The liverwort is imported from Guang Zhou but the common name found in the shop is (direct translation) : Pearl Moss from Holland.

I do not have the scientific name though. From the weather in Guang Zhou and the fish shops, I believe it needs high light, co2 and cold water.

I am growing some tied to a wood, and they have very nice bubbles underneath the tiny leaves (cold water 22C). I have another piece in another tank with slightly warm water, and they turn out to look like stringy moss.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If you are talking about the M. Tenerum, I've found that it does best if you lightly tie it to an object. I weaved it into a fake plastic plant, and it grows the broad, wide leaves in a mound shape. The leaves that lay on the substrate do not exhibit this behavior even without any plants blocking their light. I do, however, have 5wpg in that tank.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks lorba and all' yes its the one of the plants i got from u.
can i grow it emeresed too? how? i dont need it now in my tank and i dont have cold water tank at the mom (my chiller is starting to work at 26c only)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.