Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Monosolenium tenerum is a liverwort so perhaps information on that plant might help you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Assuming you are talking about Monosolenium tenerum, it's a relatively easy plant to grow. You just drop it and it will sink to the bottom. I like it more than Riccia as it doesn't come off and float to the surface. The shape of Mono is also very plastic; under bright light it will form smaller leaves(thallus?) while under less bright light the leaves are bigger. A very nice plant, especially for creating bush effect.

Paul

·
Administrator
7,390 Posts
My experience has always been that it will grow the largest and widest thalli under strong light.

Make every reasonable effort to keep it contained. It's a nice plant, but it can be a problem if you let it become one. Please see my signature.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
hm...wonder why? Tropica also said under less than favorible light leaves are bigger. Mine is smaller leaves in 65-W light in a 20-gal vs. larger leaves in 110-W in a 29-gal. So yes, it varies but maybe not necessarily with lighting; could be other factors as well.

Paul

·
Administrator
7,390 Posts
Well, as I mentioned in chat, plants that grow out in the open get rather large while the shaded stuff stays smaller. If it piles up really deep, the stuff below has that antler look and gets pretty scrawny.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im afraid im talking on a different liverwort - its a Liverwort from Guangzhoug . did any of u got it? just got it from singapore - very interseting but have no idea what to do with it so would like to "save" it in a terrarium if possible or in a low light/no co2 tank for now

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Mor, I believe its the one I sent?

I've recently made another trip oversea and saw a different name tag on it. The liverwort is imported from Guang Zhou but the common name found in the shop is (direct translation) : Pearl Moss from Holland.

I do not have the scientific name though. From the weather in Guang Zhou and the fish shops, I believe it needs high light, co2 and cold water.

I am growing some tied to a wood, and they have very nice bubbles underneath the tiny leaves (cold water 22C). I have another piece in another tank with slightly warm water, and they turn out to look like stringy moss.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If you are talking about the M. Tenerum, I've found that it does best if you lightly tie it to an object. I weaved it into a fake plastic plant, and it grows the broad, wide leaves in a mound shape. The leaves that lay on the substrate do not exhibit this behavior even without any plants blocking their light. I do, however, have 5wpg in that tank.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think I got my pellia from you, pisces, and it has really taken off. I have some tied down, and some just on the bottom. It's the shrimps favorite place and has been quite easy to grow.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Glad to hear it Iris! Yep, my shrimp love it too -- It's like a "shrimp hive!"

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks lorba and all' yes its the one of the plants i got from u.
can i grow it emeresed too? how? i dont need it now in my tank and i dont have cold water tank at the mom (my chiller is starting to work at 26c only)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts