Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the picture from the Plant Finder (needs a better name IMVHO :mrgreen:) is of the regular Lobelia cardinalis, which is many times larger than the dwarf variety. Aside from the size difference, L. cardinalis 'Small Form' has oval leaves while the regular variety has elliptical leaves.

Although extremely easy to grow IME, one thing of note is that this plant will literally melt if you happen to overdose K relatively to some-other-nutrient(s)-that-I-have-not-been-able-to-figure-out (suspecting Ca/Mg but who knows). Growing this plant emersed is also not difficult: shade to medium sun. Unlike Sue, my emersed specimens don't really care about moisture. I have two pots of the dwarf variety outside right now that I haven't water in weeks and they are still strong, showing no signs of wilting and the leaves are purple. You should try growing yours submersed Sue before looters dig yours away in the middle of the night. :D

Here is a picture of my L. cardinalis 'Small Form':

· Registered
473 Posts
Robert Hudson said:
Aside from the size difference, L. cardinalis 'Small Form' has oval leaves while the regular variety has elliptical leaves.
I don't think that is true. They are basically the same shape when they are small. The dwarf just stays smaller, bushier, and shorter. Look at Ghazanfars picture I showed here. Look at the pictures on Eriks article, and your picture. That is exactly what the large or normal variety looks like when you buy it potted from Florida Aquatic, which everyone tells me is not the true dwarf form. When it grows up, it looks like the photo below. In my Forum, All Wet Thumb, we looked at it pretty closely. Svennovich shows a picture of an up rooted full size Lobelia from his tank that is just enourmous
My picture above is of the Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form' that I originally purchased from Lowcoaster, who imports from Oriental Aquarium. It is entirely possible that he may have sent me the wrong species since OA also cultivate the regular variety. But for what's to follow, I will assume that it is indeed the small form. :D

The regular L. cardinalis to which I referenced was originally purchased from Lowe's garden center, who ordered from I-don't-know-who. :oops: This strain look VERY much like Sven's photo which you posted and that in the Plant Finder. If you compare Erik's and my photo against those of Sven's, you would notice how the leaves on Sven's specimens are stretched, elongated to pointy tips, while the leaves on Erik's and mine are more oval whose leaf-tips are blunt and much more circular.

I have not had the opportunity to grow the specimen cultivated by Florida Aquatic so I can't comment on that. Maybe it's a third variety: an intermediate form? Is that what Gomer's plant is? His emersed specimen sure is funky looking -- not at all like an emersed L. cardinalis 'Small Form' from Oriental Aquarium. Perhaps Gomer can grace us with a photo of his plant submersed?

Oriental Aquarium's Specimen (photo courtesy of www.aquaticquotient.com)

Gomer's Specimen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.