Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In a week I will have 50 bunches of Lobelia cardinalis small form, imported from Singapore.

I am going to great lengths to keep these plants healthy, they will be in a 55 gallon tank by themselves under 4/watts gallon and injected C02. These are the true dwarf species, which arfe only available from importers. The Lobelia produced by Florida Aquatic Nuseries is not the dwarf form.

I have found these plants to be fairly easy to grow under moderate to bright light and C02. I have lost plants fairly quickly though if they are too over shadowed, and they seem to like well oxygenated water. Maybe others experience is different?

Here is a link to Eriks article on the plant, the best written piece I have found:
http://www.e-aquaria.com/des_lobelia.html

· Banned
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The small form comes from Oriental aquarium in Singapore, it is in their catalog. A cultivar is not a wild strain. Hybrids do occur in nature. If I understand the term correctly, a hybrid is the crossing of two species, a cultivar is a strain or variant introduced in a lab or controlled growing conditions. It can be geneticly manipulated or done in tissue culture.

The variants of Anubias nana that Oriental has like petite, narrowleaf, marble, varigated, or Stardust, is geneticaly mutated. My guess is this is what was done with the Lobelia "small form". Commercially grown Lobelia most likely is much different from the wild variety. From close cultivation and tissue culture size and colors can be changed. I had a 4 foot tall Lobelia growing in my Mothers garden that I picked up at Home Depot that looks entirely different than the emersed aquatic version. The "small form" aquatic version is different still.

Aside from the size difference, L. cardinalis 'Small Form' has oval leaves while the regular variety has elliptical leaves.
I don't think that is true. They are basically the same shape when they are small. The dwarf just stays smaller, bushier, and shorter. Look at Ghazanfars picture I showed here. Look at the pictures on Eriks article, and your picture. That is exactly what the large or normal variety looks like when you buy it potted from Florida Aquatic, which everyone tells me is not the true dwarf form. When it grows up, it looks like the photo below. In my Forum, All Wet Thumb, we looked at it pretty closely. Svennovich shows a picture of an up rooted full size Lobelia from his tank that is just enourmous

This pic is not opening for me here...over the limit? here is the link

http://home.tiscali.be/apnd0007/foto/planten/lobelia_2.jpg

· Banned
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CS, you may be right, in fact I know you are right! Look at Svennovich's picture, definetly not round leaves. But, when they are young, small plants, I bet they are more round shaped like the true dwarf. Thats what I was trying to say.

I am sure that the small form from Oriental is a cultivar. All Lobelia is red/purple when grown emersed or terrestrial. Underwater it turns solid green

I had some small form Lobelia once last year from Oriental aquarium. Before that I was also selling Florida Aquatic Nurseries "Dwarf Lobelia". FAN identifies it as dwarf lobelia, but it is not the "small form" which is unique to Oriental Aquarium.

I think it was Jay Luto that made me give him his money back on the Dwarf Lobelia because it wasn't the "true small form". Since then I decided not to carry it and only occasioaly get the true small form thru my importer. So Tony, I do not know what you got, I do not remember. If it was in a pot then it was from Florida. If it was in a bunch then it was the real thing...the same plant that Charlie gets occasionaly. In fact Tony, I am pretty sure we have already had this conversation! Your picture looks like it's the same as Svennovich's.

I am also sure you folks are experienced enough with plants to know that they do not always grow uniformaly the same shape! Species often vary in shape and appearance. The main thing is as far as I am concerned that the "small form" from the Orient is the smallest varient of Lobelia available period. And that seems to be what everybody wants who likes this plant. This is the plant you can use as a foreground/middle ground, and the "dutch streets" without worrying about it outgrowing the space. Does Charly currently have any? I do not pay a lot of attention to his emails, so I don't know. Other than him or me, nobody else is selling it online to my knowledge.

· Banned
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know Arizona Aquatic buys Florida Aquatic plants from the same source as I do, they may also import from Oriental, I have no idea. I do not know what they are selling. From the description it sounds like the import stuff, but who knows. If they are using the term "small form", that is not a term Florida Aquatic uses, but if it is potted, then it is not imported because no potted plants are allowed into the USA. Maybe AZ is potting them themselves....if it was a potted plant from FAN it would have one of their identification tags in the pot.

I only buy plants from two sources, Florida Aquatic Nurseries and Oriental Aquarium, thats all I know. When you are talking about different variations of the same plant specie it is difficult to know for sure. Some of you guys get into arguements about plant names all the time!

Tony has your lobelia grown to over a foot tall? Or has it stayed short? I am sorry I can not be more helpful, but that is as much as I know. What I have now is OA's small form Lobelia cardinalis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.