Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kept a setup going long enough to know how long Manzanita wood will hold up? I recently removed some failry large branches (1" - 1.5" diameter) from a 2-year old tank. Large parts of the wood had become pretty soft and could be broken with almost no effort. Is this true for other woods as well?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I've had Manzanita wood for 4 years or so and its still just about as hard as it was when I got it.

Other less dense wood will decay faster. Pine is awful for this reason.

I've often wondered about sealing wood in a clear plumbing epoxy so it doesn't rot. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Do water conditions have a big impact on this? I had some Mopani for 2 yrs (in Central Texas) and when I removed it, it was just like the day I bought it.

I've got some here that I've had for 6-7 months (North Central-West Texas) and when I take it out to trim moss the bottom part that is stuck in the gravel smells slightly 'sulfury' and is softer than when I bought it.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Acidic water slows down the decay drastically.
Well, that makes sense. I'm not sure what the water quality was with my first driftwood (that was the pre-planted-tank-days), but where I'm at now the water is high pH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts