Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the picture, you can see that they are growing vertically. What you can't see from the picture is that most of them are yellow and curled. Also, my substrate is covered with some type of brown, tiny-clump-grain-pebble- algae that looks like dirt. I truly hate my glossos. If you're wondering about my specs, here they are:

10 gallon
DIY CO2 Yeast: 2, 2L bottle
2x36w AHSupply's Bright Kit

KH: 7 degrees
pH: around 7
Phosphate: around 1ppm
Nitrate: around 10ppm
Temperature: around 77 farenheit

I do 50% weekly water change. I dose 5ppm of nitrate, .5ppm of phosphate, 10ml of Flourish, 2.5 ml of Seachem's Iron and 10 ml of Seachem's potassium at water change. Midweek I would dose 5ppm of nitrate, .5ppm of phosphate, 5ml of Flourish, 5ml of potassium. Now, tell me what is wrong and the reason's why my glossos are not growing and spreading. Why are all of them turning yellow and curling? Why is it easy for everyone else but so hard for me? How come everyone else's glossos are growing and spreading like weed while mine is suffering and dying. Tell me why? This hobby can be so cruel. I'm starting to give up already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glosso grow up becouse you have unsatisfactorily of light! It's natural in this pland, glosso ned a lot of light.

P.S
Can you send me on "pw" photo of you co2 disuzor? please :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Lamthuyduong,

You do not need more light. Your NO3 dosing and CO2 levels just need to be upped. I would recommend trying 25ppm a week of NO3 for a vcouple of weeks to see if that makes a difference. Also, your CO2 levels are only at 20. You should really work to get them to 30ppm. THis can be difficult with yeast, sometimes, but it can definately be done. Part of your problem with both the glosso and algae, I am sure, is that your extremly high lighing levlels cause the plants to use up the nutrients very quickly. Healthy plants that are getting all the nutrients they need can uptake 4-5ppm NO3 a day. You might also try trimming your glosso down a little as I have heard that soem likes to grow up, no matter what the conditions, but trimming it back will train it to grow horozontally. You definately need more nutrients with that much light. You might also want to use only one of the bulbs until the tanks gets settled a bit. It waill make your life easier, definately. Your tank also looks very thinly planted. You might also want to add soem fastgrowing plants like H. difformis, C> thalictroudes, Hornwort, etc. to help control the algae while the tank is settling in.

Most importantly, don't give up:) Its a very rewarding hobby but there is a learning curve. We have all gone through it:)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I don't think it's much nutrients as it is improper planting methods.

First off, you have _plenty_ of light --enough light for a nano reef if you decide to go to the dark side.

Two, you don't have nearly enough plants in that aquarium. All I see is a few stems of Glosso and a fern in the background. You need to add more fast growers like Heteranthera zosterifolia (stargrass), Limnophila sessiliflora (asian ambulia), Cabomba caroliniana, Hygrophila difformis (wisteria), etc. Check out the plant finder for more details on these plants.

Three, you need to prune the glosso properly. Take all your stems and begin planting them horizontally across the substrate in parallel lines. In a few days, they will try to grow vertically. Pin them down, again. Eventually, they will relent and grow horizontally.

Third, I would recommend going with just a single 36w bulb. I bet you will enjoy the hobby much more and have an easier time balancing the aquarium without the excessive 2x36w lighting. I personally have 40w over my 10g.

Carlos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts