Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I recently purchased and divided a 20 long for 2 bettas. It's divided with green mesh, which I intend to grow into a moss wall so the bettas won't see each other.

Anyways, because of the divider and moss wall, I don't know if I should make it one scape or two. Here are some pictures of the driftwood I already have in there. I'm also planning on picking up some more gravel to add some depth to the bottom.

Here's a picture of the whole tank:
P1010495.jpg

Side 1:
This side is made up of 3 pieces. One in the front, one in the middle, and the tall one in the back.
P1010496.jpg

Side 2:
This side is made up of 2 pieces that kinda lock together.
P1010497.jpg

I hope to keep the tank lightly planted with moss, java ferns, and anubias. Any advice/critique is welcome.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think what you're doing is pretty neat. I don't see how you could go wrong with doing it either way. The only thing I can think of, that you didn't mention, is to make sure that each side has sufficient filtration. Other than that I see three options:

*Make the entire tank look like it is a single piece.
*Make each side look like a twin of the other.
*Make each side unique, and with a look independent of each other.

None of these is neither right, nor wrong. It is all about what you want to do.

Do you want to work hard to make the visual transition from one side to the other seamless? Do you want to work hard to make one side look like a perfect copy of the other? Do you want to work hard to make each side unique, and complementary? Or do you have another idea that you'd like better?

Aquaria is a hobby. It's about what would make you feel good about your creation. And if what would make you feel good is to please others, then those are the three suggestions I can think of at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Aaron has summarized the possible approaches well. If you decide to go with his #1, I suggest that you move the wood as close to the divider on both sides as you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! I think that out of those, I want a tank that has a similar feeling on each side, but isn't one whole scape. I want both sides to be natural looking, but I don't mind if one side doesn't flow into the other.

For filtration, on my divided 10 gallon I have the intake of the HOB on 1 side and the outflow on the other. It has worked pretty well, because it makes sure that water is flowing through the divider all the time. I put the heater near the intake, so warm water gets pulled up and dumped on the other side. With the moss on the divider, I suspect it will work pretty much the same.

I changed around the driftwood on both sides a bit, the left side a bit more than the right side. Here's what it looks like now:

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 3.00.44 PM.jpg

Sorry it's half filled--I'm hoping to move them in today! Since it's going to be planted with anubias, moss, and have ferns, I'm not too worried about planting difficulties.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Look like an awesome start. I hope you keep us regularly updated with lots of pictures. I can't wait to see the finished result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts