Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Looking For Plant Aquarists In Miami Broward For Club

18K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  jerrybforl 
#1 ·
i have been in the hobby of plants for about 2 and a years. i am apart of Gold Coast Aquarium Society of South Florida but its more about fish and cichlids. there are a few of us in there that have planted tanks and some of us are actually trying to get more plant aquarist in the club. so if anybody is interested in organizing a club let me know.
JJ jerrybforl@aol.com :cool:

#8 ·
I'll continue to bump this so we can get more responses. I'd like to eventually get enough support that we can launch field trips. Florida Aquatic Nurseries is huge on my list. A group going there would be pretty sweet.

llj

#10 ·
bump to everyone. there is a freshwater club Gold Coast Aquarium Society this wednsday at the David Park Center off of Hollywood going West the address is 108 n 33rd ct. on the corner of Hollywood and Park. hope to see you there. im JJ by the way and ill be there.

#13 ·
hey guys met Matt aka Solid305 tonight at the Gold Coast Aquarium Society. was a lot of plants and i now met another person interested in our brewing club. we now have around 6-7 people strong who are really interested in a plant club so lets get it going. again my email is jerrybforl@aol.com email me so we can get the ball rolling.

thanks,
JJ

#14 ·
Hi JJ,

we spoke at the GCAS meeting and you suggested I joined this forum. I'm the guy always asking for Java Moss.

anyways, here I am. I'm interested in getting together with "planties" as you call yourselves. i'm very new at this, but also very curious.

my tank is running low-light with 2 DIY CO2 bottles being fed into my canister filter. i have 85% eco-complete/regular gravel mix and I dose dry powders daily using the EI method, but on a reduced scale since my CO2 doesnt get near 30ppm with the DIY.

hopefully I will be able to upgrade to pressurized + high light and get a lot of riccia from you!:)

#15 ·
Welcome aboard Trojannemo! Your setup sounds very nice.

I have 4 planted tanks. One very low-light, no CO2, no ferts. One with a little more light but no CO2 or ferts. One that will be in a state of flux and one newly setup Dutch nano. UPS was absolutely aweful with my latest plant purchase, but they have always been bad. I paid for next day air and received my plants after two days of being in a very hot UPS truck. I lost a few and had to do a lot of pruning and cleaning. So the Dutch won't be scaped for now, and I've got to quickly convert the "flux" tank to a CO2 tank so I can "heal" some of weakened plants. The stems and dwarf hairgrass especially took a beating. When they rebound, then I'll scape the Dutch. Right now, it's just about growing healthy plants and giving them proper space. My HC looks great, though, go figure.

This is coming along well. I'm working on getting a vehicle, so I won't be able to meet regularly until I get one.

Question. Anybody here on Skype? Just a thought to hold some preliminary meetings so nobody uses up gas.

llj

#16 ·
hey glad you joined. looks like are little club is starting to get going. if anything we have about 5-6 people strong. and if we met i can pic you you up lljdma its no problem. the other question is who is willing to hold the meetings as our little club has no money. i would hold but i live in a one bedroom on south beach so its not big enough. any takers?? anyway lets keep the post going and discussing ideas for a meeting time and date.

thanks,
JJ

#18 ·
So nobody has skype then? That's weird. You don't need a video camera, you can still work with the messaging and multiple conversations can be held at once. Kind of like a chat, but with the potential for video. I think we should explore something like this before we meet as a group.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but while I realize we are all hobbiests, therefore a bunch of plant geeks and probably harmless, I'm not one to just go and meet people I don't know in a strange location. I would feel uncomfortable. I'm sure you are all very nice people, but you can forgive me for being a bit cautious. I'm not ruling it out, but I think we should all get to know each other better first and I think that an online video chat via skype might be something to try at first. I saw the Oprah episode where she featured it, you can do some pretty amazing stuff.

Once we know each other better and have had a few online meetings and then a few meetings in a neutral location (Starbucks, Barnes & Noble), eventually, I would have no problem offering my home for meetings. It is comfortable and can host a small club.

Really, I don't mean to disappoint, it's just the way I am. I hope you understand.

llj

#19 ·
its understandable but i dont have skype and not sure what it is i have aol where one can create their own chat. but we could have a small meeting at a place like you suggested to get to know everyone. i have now met two of the people who are on the post and know another as a close friend. so i dont know how this is going to workout.

JJ

#20 ·
its understandable but i dont have skype and not sure what it is i have aol where one can create their own chat. but we could have a small meeting at a place like you suggested to get to know everyone. i have now met two of the people who are on the post and know another as a close friend. so i dont know how this is going to workout.

JJ
Skype is a free program that allows for messaging and conference calls. Rather than aol chat, Skype allows you to talk in real time, even if you don't have video capabilities. It allows you to make PC to PC calls. It's a free download and if you're calling between Skype members, that's free too. I might be breaking a forum rule, but here's the link.

www.skype.com

#21 ·
thats good and all but everyone has to join that and this may be a sticky spot for the development of the club. we can all meet in a public area or something that way there are plenty of people around. you can even bring someone if you like to make you feel more comfortable. we just need to get the club up and running i think before it starts to die out again.

thanks,
JJ

#22 ·
thats good and all but everyone has to join that and this may be a sticky spot for the development of the club. we can all meet in a public area or something that way there are plenty of people around. you can even bring someone if you like to make you feel more comfortable. we just need to get the club up and running i think before it starts to die out again.

thanks,
JJ
I totally agree that it needs to get up and running and if you need to move on ahead, I say go for it! Unfortunately because I'm a performer and hold two university jobs, I really can't do a regular schedule of meetings at this time. I'm very sorry. :( If you went to the same 13 hours of meetings I went to yesterday, you'd understand. :crazy: I really like the idea of a club, but I know my limits very well. The Skype thing would have been perfect, as it is very easy for me to do, but if you feel that's not where you want to go with the club, that's fine and I completely understand. I can always join up later when my schedule frees up more. Right now, it's the start of the school year, it is quite busy. I'll support and definitely encourage people to join up, though, and I'll offer plants up for swap to any of you, as I'd much rather give priority to locals for equipment I don't use anymore and good plant clippings.

Please keep me abreast of what is done. :)

llj:)

#24 ·
JJ I know you're excited, but here's the problem I see:

i told you i'd be interested in being part of the club, but i have no intention, nor time, to be a coordinator for it. you set it up it, you run, and you tell me to be at a certain place at a certain time, and i'll be there...but setting up the logistics for it, i just can't, and i'm sure others dont have the time either.

so what i think you should do, is you make all the decisions, find the place, the time and just get it going. then people will go or not. does GCAS allow us to choose when and where we meet? no, they decided it and if you like it you go, if you dont you stay home. that way you'll have some members and a club, rather than a bunch of people online giving you excuses...

all i ask is you don't make the meetings be in south beach. i dont mind driving around for meetings, but parking in south beach is a PITA all the time, and costs too much money...and did i say it's a BIG PITA...i only go to south beach on the bus:shock::der:

#26 ·
this is the things guys we have to start a club before we can actually go out and rent a place to hold them. i dont have space in my apartment to hold a meeting or i would. and i am setting it or at least trying to. im trying to get everyones input but all i get is "im in" or "im interested" but no one is willing to hold it. i suggested to meet at a park or something to introduce ourselves but again nothing how are we supposed to get a club going if no one is willing to stepup and say something. no suggestions!!! you mentioned to me that you go to school well so do i and work full time. but here i am trying to get this thing going without much help. everyone has or needs to be more willing to help with ideas or suggestions or we will never get this club going. period.

thanks,
JJ:confused:

#30 ·
The best way to do it is to just hold a "plant swamp/picnic/whatever" at the local park, say, A.D. Barnes Park on Bird Road. Since there are probably not very many of us to begin with, I do not think reservations or any other complications of that sort are necessary. Whoever shows up, shows up.

We can just meet up at the park at X time (say, Saturday at 4-5pm), swap plants, talk about tanks, eat snacks, etc. It does not have to be anything serious, but at least it will get a membership going. If the club grows, then you can start to consider a school to host your meetings -- keep it simple for now.

That said, I am currently in Australia until the end of November.

Good luck,

Carlos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.