Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming close to actually setting up my new tank (finally). I've decided to go with a 20 long, and am trying to focus on having plants that need minimal pruning. I travel quite a bit and always come back to a dark plant choked aquarium which is in need of a serious bush wacking.

I want to have a couple emergent plants
AND robust growers
AND plants that will not cover the surface of the water when needing pruning
AND plants with good root systems
AND plants that are not so fast growing that they will take over.

So my question to all you smart people is:
Is it possible to have it all?

·
Registered
499 Posts
For emergent, Parrot Feather would be an excellent choice. For great roots I would look toward a sword, Ozelot or Red Melon would be a nice choice.
Your lighting would make a difference as to your choice of plants as well.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Crypts are well-rooted and slow growing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had never heard of Myriophyllum aquaticum (Parrot Feather) before. Thank you for that. It really looks interesting.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Hi Rusalka,

I use the following in my 30 gallon for a minimal trimming tank:
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. Balansae
Cryptocoryne Lutea
Eleocharis Sp. (Hairgrass, I like the taller species)
Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern)
Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' (Java Fern 'Windelov')

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I will definately have a few kinds of crypts in there. I'm thinking c. wendtii, and undulata (brown if I can get my hands on it!).

I love swords too - but I'm worried they will be too tall for my 20g long. Are there any shorter species you can recommend?

I checked out the parrot feather - what a beautiful plant! I also got my hands on some rotala wallichi - another stunner with a similar texture!

Here are some of the other plants I've collected so far:

e. tenellus
- such a great carpet standby!

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
- seems difficult but ya never know in an el natural

Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides - I think... my lfs gave this to me for free as it was not doing well in their tanks...

Pogostemon helferi - hopefully this cute little plant will work in an el natural.

Tiger lotus with pointy leaves
- (not sure what the latin is for the pointy variety...) another freebee at the lfs. I'm going to try to plant this in combo with anubias to prevent BBA. This is a fast grower so it will be great for the initial set up but might be a pain in the pruning departement later down the road.

Blyxa japonica - for a taller foreground plant.

Anubias hastifolia - I have a HUGE one which is 18 inches tall in my current tank and I think I will have to rehome it when I switch to the long tank. I'm going to try and take a chunk off it with shorter leaves and give it a go. I love the leaves on this plant.

Java fern, Anubias nana, a marimo ball, and a mystery red plant
(glandulosa?) will all be hitching a ride from my old tank to the new one.

Plants not coming to the new tank are italian val, sunset hygro, sagittaria, and moneywort. All of which I just cannot keep up with! I'm thinking of keeping a small emergency back-up of these in case i need them for emergent growth, fast growth, or the sag for it's rooting ability.

Still on my wish list is:
lobelia cardinalis
barclaya longifolia
nymphea stellata
c. undulata brown

but i don't know if my lfs will get them in....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts