Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd start a general overall feedback thread.

So, far, I think it looks great! Finally, one that also covers traces as well!

I think this might help bring in a lot more interest into this website. Chuck Gadd's calculator is quite famous, and this has basically the same info, adds some other things, and looks a lot better and integrates into the website well.

I'll test it out & see if I can find anything. I found & reported "errors" in Chuck's when I was trying to calculate for very small tanks, using small table/teaspoon measurements (rounding problem due to such small amounts, actually).

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I would like to add that we tried to make it more accurate in terms of grams to teaspoon convertions.

For raw materials, we used some existing numbers as well as newly determined numbers. Steve did some recent numbers as did I. I'm not sure what steves technique was, but I ended up doing my density calculations based on an analytical balance with milligram precission.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This rocks, thanks.

Several requests, semi prioritized:

Could you please add CaCo3 to the Calcium pull down, for those of us who shop at Microbrew suppliers?

Also could you add Tropica Master Grow (TMG) under the iron sources?

My tap water changes several times a year, it just softened a lot to 2 kH and 1 gH (yes, backwards) and ph rose from 7.2 to 8.0. So I add baking soda at 2 tsp/ 30gal and about 1/8 ysp of epsom salt and a smidge of CaCO3 to get my kH to 4-5 and gH to 7-9 so I can drive pressurized CO2 in community tank and set pH at 6.6 to 6.8. I would love a kH/gH calculator where it had starting and target conditions. I know how much baking soda works but the CaCO3 (raises kH and gH) and epsom salt (raises gH only) are just guesses. Love to know how much muratic acid from pool supply I could add to drive pH down to 5-6 for my non-CO2 Cardinal tetra tank.

Is there a way to add drops to the unit of measure if you choose Fleet enema? I think there is a drop / ml caluation you can do, think it's like 4-5 /ml depending on width of nozzle.

If it had NoSalt under K sources, i might use that too, but I also have K2So4. Another source you may add is Green Light Stump remover to Kno3.

Thinking about adding a boron pull down?

Thanks, it even works on old macs with OS9.2.2, and Netscape 7.02 and IE 5.01 after I updated my flash player which is somewhat rare now with so many Active X and fancy Java applets used on other sites.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gomer said:
I would like to add that we tried to make it more accurate in terms of grams to teaspoon convertions.

For raw materials, we used some existing numbers as well as newly determined numbers. Steve did some recent numbers as did I. I'm not sure what steves technique was, but I ended up doing my density calculations based on an analytical balance with milligram precission.
I just got a nice My Weigh mini digital scale, so once it comes in, I'll now be able to measure in grams for a bit more accuracy. It was hard figuring out measurements for my 2.5g when it came down to fractions of a teaspoon :-k. I know a lot of people will continue to use tea/table spoon measurements as most would have these on-hand, compared to a scale. Shold make it easier for them.

edit - One good thing about Chuck's downloadable version is that it will tell you if your amount is too large to disolve into your set amount of water. Any way of setting this up as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something else ....I think it would be easier for each product, the chemical formula to be written also (i.e. potassium nitrate - KNO3)...I believe it would be better specially for more complex compounds (mono-, di- etc)....mainly for practical reasons like asking that from pharmacist and so on...
Also I don't know how feasible it is to have a parameter regarding iron percentage, since various products don't have the same amount (i.e. I use a product with 4% Fe).....at least worldwide :wink: .......also considering the same problem (various contents in different products), maybe it should have a value for copper which also varies and maybe in some cases (overdosing in Fe) could be fatal for the fishes at least......

PS. I also agree in theory with Rolo's post about the stock solution but since I'm not a chemist I'm not sure about the practicality issue (maximum solubilities, dense solutions and so on).....probably you should check it further....

Very good work anyway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.