Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I am in Miami and as some of you know there is a tropical storm coming through as we speak. I am wondering what I should do if I lose electricity for an extended period of time (more than a couple of hours)? Should I just do water changes or what is the best method of keeping my fish and plants alive??

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i have had power out for a max of 20 hours in the winter and it was scary but nothing bad happened.

I have strongly considered getting a UPS for a computer, a battery backup. that will run a air pump and a heater, as i figure it with such a low draw should run for a very long time. they also make battery air pumps also. the only thing i can see really going wrong is loss of air for the fish, the plants would mostly shut down with out the light.

good luck with the storm!

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
3 years ago when we had all those storms hit Florida, we were powerless for 3 days twice. I didn't have any problems with any of the tanks. I just did a large water change, and filter clean out when the power returned. Also remember if you have pressurized CO2 and are not on a solenoid, to turn it off, as the gas will just keep running. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just lost power here a couple weeks ago when we got hit by the tornadoes that hit NW Indiana. I have a generator, we lose power alot during storms. I was thinking of plugging the tank stuff into the generator but thought what happens if I have to use the generator for other things. So began my experiment. We were without power for almost 80 hours, I had managed to do my weekly water change the day before we lost power. I fed the fish a minimal amount of food the night the power went out and then went without feeding them until the power came back on. As soon as we had power again, I did another 10% water change with water I put out as soon as we lost power. No casualties as far as fish went, my plant situation is vastly different though. No plants in tank= no loss of plants...

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can also you an inversor, this is a unit that takes 12Volts DC from a regular Car Battery and transforms it into 120 V AC, a unit that can hold 450Watts load cost about $90 USD. Have such a small load as the Aquarium equipment it can hold running 3-4days depending on the load and battery capacity.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the help. Luckily we only lost power for about three hours overnight and everything is OK here.

I hope that it will be the same for all the other places this storm hits.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts