Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been into gardening for a while and just recently stated keeping fish. What better way to combine my hobbies than a planted tank, right? Wrong! I do not have a wet green thumb. Well I might, but with all the equipment involved I may not be able to afford one! I am trying desprately to plant my 29 gallon community tank. I have a few micro swords an amazon sword (I know it will get BIG), some kind of anubias, and some anacharis. My problem seems to be lighting. I think I need more. I have a marineland hood that came with the "Walmart special". It only has one bulb in it. So...do I need a new lighting fixture or a whole new hood? I was also toying with the idea of CO2, but I don't plan on keeping very difficult plants. I just want some grass-like plants in the foreground and hygrophilia difformis (sp?) in the back, maybe one decorative plant. Please help and keep in mind...I'm already broke from all the fish I buy. :oops: I want quality at a good price..not neccissarily top of the line. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a new light on the way! :D It's a dual flourescent, only $30. I'm going to get good bulbs for it..any suggestions on that? I didn't get the compact one, I figure I will move up to that as my skills improve and I get more needy plants. I also ordered some liquid fertilizer. I read somewhere that the tabs were better, but the tabs for sale were for pond plants and I wasn't sure this would work...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got flourish liquid fertilizer and have my tank pretty well stocked with fish that are s'posed to be "nice" to plants. For now I just got the bulbs that came with the light. My husband is gonna make me a reflector put of some polished aluminum that he has. I may as well have him rig up the CO2 while he's at it...I have looked at several DIY things for CO2 and it looks easy enough :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.