Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea they spawn - within the first week I got them (same with the Cherrys). I started with 8 Crystals (I think 3 adults, 5 babies) and six Cherrys. I've given away 16 shrimp, and probably have a hundred in there. The Crystals at first outbred the Cherrys. I raised the temp a bit and stopped adding Indian Almond leaves, and the Crystals aren't breeding as much now. I am a stress case with giving/selling my pets, and would rather they just not breed.

Anyone got birth control for shrimps and fish? :p

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Well, I guess the planaria has its role, so they don't bother me too much - just embarrasing to have them on the glass in my picture! :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nooooooo I don't keep fish with my shrimp! I know others enjoy success with the combination, but I prefer not to take that risk.....

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Oh yes, those Crystal Red's are hot commodities, so let them breed, let them breed, let them breed..... Can you tell my mind is on the holidays??? :roll:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL JanS ! I would much prefer that to the "let it snow" version, personally. I'm tired of losing my vacation days to snow/ice days in an area of the country I was told "it never snows" before moving here. Somebody, err, everybody has selective memories!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Piscesgirl, where you get Downoi. I try to search for a years. It very rare. I went to Thailand but I can't find it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*runs around frantically to find a lock to put on her shrimp tank* :p

Ben I'll share -- but no fish with shrimp!

·
Registered
265 Posts
The biggest fish I have in the tank I was thinking of is a Neon and a Threadfin Rainbow. They couldn't even get a shrimp leg in their mouth. I know better than to put them with the Angels. They mercilessly stalk shrimp.

I thought you were coming to the AGA.

Ben

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, guppies can eat shrimp... they just chomp em in half! There's not a fish I trust, except maybe an Otto..but still not sure.

I was going to go but backed out. It's both very expensive to kennel my 3 big dogs and I'm a basket case when I do it. I first had planned to just drive up for the day, but then thought the traffic would be bad, and it wouldn't be feasible.

·
Registered
144 Posts
PG how about endlers? I have them in with amanos without a problem. If you are talking about baby shrimp then it's a different story though obviously.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Capt, Amanos are larger than the Cherry Shrimp and the Crystal Reds, however, a person on another board lost his ghost shrimp to some guppies that were perhaps the same size as the guppies! Endlers are so similar to guppies, I would consider them the same category.

However, my opinions are solely my own in that I'm personally not comfortable with predation. I don't feed live foods, either. Therefore, I don't like any possibility of the shrimp being eaten -- and if there are adult shrimp, there will be baby shrimp (Amanos are harder to breed than the Cherries and the Crystals). Others wouldn't have the same concerns as I do...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts