Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dont remove my lily pipe at all. I only use one for return as the tank is drilled low for a discreet intake to the modular canisters. I use a dobie pad to clean most of the outflow portion and then a smei-rigid pipe brush to clean the part of the tube that is still visible. I use the largest size lily pipe and I am actually impressed by how thick the glass appears to be.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually have that brush, but it's too short to clean flexible tubing. As I said my main problem is taking the tubing off the pipe to soak it in bleach. I've now been using a thin knife to first break the cohesion of the tubing to the pipe before removing it. If your in a rush or not careful doing this it's very easy to break them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You might consider using some unions or quick disconnect fittings but this would ruin the aesthetic if the external return and intake tubing is visible.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I actually have that brush, but it's too short to clean flexible tubing. As I said my main problem is taking the tubing off the pipe to soak it in bleach. I've now been using a thin knife to first break the cohesion of the tubing to the pipe before removing it. If your in a rush or not careful doing this it's very easy to break them.
Oh I see what you mean. Have you tried soaking the connection is really hot water? I find that softens the connection sufficiently to get it to wiggle off. One thing I have noticed once you've done this a couple of times, is end of the tubing no longer fits snugly, so I have to cutoff 1/2" off the end to get it to fit tight again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm almost glad I don't mind seeing nonglass pipes lol. poor guys like me can't afford the fancy ADA pipes anyway, and I certainly would have a fit if I broke the first one I finally had the courage to order!

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coralife,
Yeah the disconnects would work but the reason for the pipes to basically aesthetic. Although maybe a disconnect alittle further down wouldn't be bad and you could clean the pipe along with the small piece of tubing.

Bunbuku,
The heated water would help, but I think you always have that 'feeling' that you might still break the pipes as you wiggle it off.

Jargonchipmunk,
Well that's why I buy the cheaper ones. It would hurt worst if I broke the ADA ones. In addition to the pipes I've also broken some of the diffusors as well removing the airline tubing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
To remove the tubing from the glass is actually easy once you get used
to it, hold the pipe next to tubing and push the tubing and pipe into
each other, like you are putting the tube on, this will break the tubing
lose, then it will slip off with ease.

·
Registered
932 Posts
agreed this method works well.kind of like a chinese finger trap.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
This is how Mike Senske told me to do it as well.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is how Mike Senske told me to do it as well.
Never really thought to do it that way. These are the kind of 'tips' that should be on vendor websites that sell lily pipes. If I'm having an issue with this I'm sure many others are as well. If this instruction is already on the sites, my apologies.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Never really thought to do it that way. These are the kind of 'tips' that should be on vendor websites that sell lily pipes. If I'm having an issue with this I'm sure many others are as well. If this instruction is already on the sites, my apologies.
That's why APC is a great place for info! :first: Always someone out there willing to help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It would be an added bonus as tips goes. I know it suck to break a piece of equipment. Buying glassware does come with a little more special attention.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I soak mine in CLR and rinse afterwards.
Do you have to scrub your pipes to get the algae off, or does the CLR remove it completely?

From what I was told, it smell like a mixture of bleach.
Superge is made of Sodium chlorate, I wonder why it would have a bleach smell?
Superge also looks like a product that you wouldn't have to scrub to remove the algae.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I second Thanh's observation. I had some Superege and it does smell like bleach. Both are essentially strong oxidizing agents. If you dilute Superege per instructions to soak the pipes I still end up scrubbing the intake pipes.

I used CLR to clean my Cal Aqua diffuser when it became hopelessly clogged despite overnight soaking in bleach. Worked like a charm but it also removed the CalAqua logo etched on the glass.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Do you have to scrub your pipes to get the algae off, or does the CLR remove it completely?

Superge is made of Sodium chlorate, I wonder why it would have a bleach smell?
Superge also looks like a product that you wouldn't have to scrub to remove the algae.
I still scrub using the same coil brush Bunbuku posted earlier. Not too much on the outside as I like my ADA logo. Otherwise it just another piece of glass. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts