Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
The ground cover you can use depends on how much light/wattage you have over the tank. If you have low light then "Four Leaf clover" will do well. If your looking to use moss, then you will need to tie it to rocks. Most moss grow wildly, so you would have to keep it trimmed quiet often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As trena said it really depends on your tank parameters. If you're looking for moss then you can't go wrong with Java Moss, it grows well in lower lighting conditions. However, making a full carpet of the stuff can be a pain. Here's a pic of my old Java Moss carpet before I got tired of trimming it every week:

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I played a bit with Java moss in my 45 gallon tank, with high light intensity. It grew well on the substrate, but the mass of moss just kept on getting thicker and thicker, until I removed it at about 3 inches thickness. It definitely needs pruning. But, when you prune it, the bits and pieces tend to go everywhere in the tank, each piece another potential growth of moss.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I have a 10 gallon tank with two 20 watt CFL bulbs on it, and the light intensity is low light, at best. I think you will need to upgrade the lighting to be able to grow much of anything. Even with the 40 watts total lighting I have trouble getting plants to grow. Crypts are slowly growing, but narrow leaf Java Fern is just staying alive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WPG= watts / # of US gallons

When I was growing that Java Moss carpet I had 2 20 watt lights, so as an example 40 / 29 = 1.4WPG. And this amount of lighting was plenty to grow my Java moss like weeds.

So ferris89 you have 2.6 WPG which in theory should be enough for growing Java Moss. Do you have any pics ot the lighting/tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Warning slight thread hijack

Hoppy I've read several comments about the CF lights and this got me started wondering. This would also apply to Ferris since we both share the same tank size and I recently added two 20 CF lamps to my hood. In another thread you were talking about the reflectors. In my hood the reflectors (bought the set-up used) is pretty corroded and dingy. I was thinking instead of trying to replace the reflectors I might try and find some thin mirrors and glue them to the old reflectors. The mirrors would have to be thin due to limited clearance between the spiraled CF's and the current reflectors.

Thoughts???

We will now return to the previously scheduled thread/discussion. [smilie=u:

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Re: Warning slight thread hijack

Hoppy I've read several comments about the CF lights and this got me started wondering. This would also apply to Ferris since we both share the same tank size and I recently added two 20 CF lamps to my hood. In another thread you were talking about the reflectors. In my hood the reflectors (bought the set-up used) is pretty corroded and dingy. I was thinking instead of trying to replace the reflectors I might try and find some thin mirrors and glue them to the old reflectors. The mirrors would have to be thin due to limited clearance between the spiraled CF's and the current reflectors.

Thoughts???

We will now return to the previously scheduled thread/discussion. [smilie=u:[/QUOTE]

Thoughts? Mirrors are lousy reflectors unless you want to shave or comb your hair. The best easy way to refurbish the reflectors is to find some super white flat paint, or ultra white, a white that hurts your eyes to stare at it, and paint the whole inside, reflector and all with it. Good white paint is a much more effective reflector than you would ever think it would be.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 14 of 14 Posts