Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 125(72"), and want to do a low light tank(going to have a mix of North American and African black water fish). Right now, I have a GLO 2 bulb T5 HO system(48" and 54 watts per, for 108 watt of HO light and was thinking of just positioning this center over the tank, as I plan an "island" of rock, stumps and low light plants sourounded by open swim area and bare/plain substrate(at least...that's my idea so far).
In the opinion of the board, would 108 watts suffice for low light plants such as anubis, mosses, crypts, java fern, and a few native vals? Most if not all plant growth would be centered under the lights.
Or...should I add another 2 foot light of some kind(thinking el-cheapo home depot t8 ficture!), and run lighing over the entire tank?
thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, but your low light/low tech plants would rlly have to be right under your light, and you wouldn't really have much selection of plants seeing as you only have less than 1wpg. You could use watersprite, Anubis, Java moss, Maybe Java fern, and yes, crypts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
how tall is your tank? If you keep it all in the center and do the central "mound" type layout you were talking about, you could pretty much ignore WPG rule altogether or at least calculate it based on the gallonage of the central 48" of the tank to figure out what you could plant there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts