Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I'm not going to be upgrading my reef. Didn't get enough back on my taxes to worry with it. So I am going to leave my bettas in their 20 gallon and use my 29 to actually try to make look nice :)

In my 20, I was thinking about keeping crypts, some fissiden, some water sprite and some corkscrew vals, and keeping it low tech so I don't need to worry about doing anything but water changes on it. How much light would I want on it?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Keep it under 2wpg's, but at least 1.5wpgs. So use a 30-40 watt fixture. You still will need to add a little ferts & Excel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i put a 36w ahs light strip on my gf's 20h tank (1.8 wpg). anubias, java fern/moss, crypts, hygro, water sprite, dwarf sagittaria, and pygmy chain sword are all growing at the typical rate of low-tech tanks: s-l-o-w-l-y. only algae to speak of is gsa, but given the slow growth rate, some of it is to be expected. no external carbon sources are added, nor are any ferts.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Carbon is probably more of a limiting factor in your gf's tank miles, I found 3wpg to be too low to grow glosso and HC for my 20H... just some food for thought this was t5 light with crappy reflectors. I would recommend 2x24 t5. Any fixture will do so get a cheap one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts