Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to venture into a low tech 5g here are some specs:

10"x10"x11" cube
ADA Powersand with florabase on top 3" to? Or 100% florabase? Or powersand with normal gravel?
6500k 1.4 wpg on for 12 hours
flourish and excel every sunday only
will I be able to do monthly 50% water changes only?
heavy fish load (dwarf rasboras suggestions?)
some shirmp (cherries want to breed)
would an aquaclear mini(20) work or is it too much?
do i need diy co2?
100% tap or 100% ro?
what heater would you guys suggest(submersible)? Thinking aobut vis therm deluxe.

Next can you guys help me decide on a scape? Which one would look more pleasing? Please advise on these scapes, I have my mindset on these only.

1. All rocks(zen style one big second 50% smaller and a smaller rock elsewhere), with xmass moss foreground only.

2. All rocks(zen), with marselia forground only

3. All rocks(zen), with hairgrass only(will the grass grow?)

4. All rocks(zen), with HC(I don't think it's possible with low tech but what do you guys think?)

5. Branches with rock base, xmas moss everywhere

Should I set this tank up with water from my 10g established? Or should I just cycle this like a new tank(will I need hornwort?)?

John

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
You must have found a tank. :)
I'll touch on a few of your questions....

If you're going to have a heavy fish load, I'd do more than 50% per month. It's a small tank so to even do 50%/week is nothing.

The AC mini should be fine as long as you keep your water level up.

The Thermal Compact is a great heater for smaller tanks.

You don't need to use water from your established tank, but stick some of the established substrate (in a mesh bag), some filter media and anything else you can think of from the old tank in your new tank at the same time you add your fish. It will greatly speed up cycling time, and reduce stress on the fish.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
turtlehead said:
I don't like acrylic, I like old school glass :) I feel more comfortable with it. It's for my dorm room, so I don't get bored.
Way to be, i'll still be living with my parents during college time. So I can still enjoy my tanks. I'm more comfortable with acrylic since it doesn't crack as easy like glass, and the bad thing is I don't know what kind of heater I could use for it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
7 watts of light over a tank this size is very low imo. You might want to consider a smaller type of crypt or anubias, or maybe narrow leaf java fern.

I think plant choice will be severely limited by this amount of light, although I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Jdinh04 said:
I'm more comfortable with acrylic since it doesn't crack as easy like glass, and the bad thing is I don't know what kind of heater I could use for it.
You can use pretty much any aquarium heater in an acrylic tank. I have 4 small acrylic tanks and have never had a problem using the Thermal Compact heaters in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts