Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
What a great tip. I have been trying to figure out how I could rig some (cheap) higher watt lighting for my 55 and this is exactly what I needed. I never thought of rewiring my old lights. I used aluminum duct tape as a reflector. Just covered the whole inside of the box, then slit the vents with a razor blade. It worked really well. I just happened to have some laying around, but it runs about $7 for a large roll at any home store. Thanks for a great post, Kubilak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This works out better/cheaper for me since I have a 55 with two hoods/light strips. They are a brown (oak?) color and match the frame of my tank. If I bought new strips I would also have to replace the hoods, and the new ones probably wouldn't match unless I did a special order ($$). As is, it only cost me $6 per hood to rewire them. All I had to buy was the sockets. The extra wire and connections were cannibalized from the existing lights, and I had the electrical tape and the aluminum duct tape already. For some people it might be cheaper or easier to buy an incandescent strip, but if you already have a full hood or have an odd sized tank this is a good way to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts