Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was told today I have high KH which is causing problems in my tank. I've read alot about the concept of using Pool Acid (HCI Hydrochloric Acid) to dissolve the carbonates in the water therefore lowering the KH. My tap water is about 10 to 12 KH.

I'm not interested in a big debate of whether or not this works or the typical "You will burn your arms" argument. I'm a big boy!!! I'm more interested in anyone what has used this method with success.

There is a very good article with safety and dosing instructions at this website. This article states that as a rule of thumb that 10 mL of 8.7% HCl acid will reduce 425 gallons of water by 5 ppm.

http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/weborder.exe?operation=getdoc&document=xxindex

Anyone use this method with success?

AGAIN, I"M NOT INTERESTED IN "WHY NOT TO DO THIS" COMMENTS!!! AND I KNOW ABOUT RO LOWERING THE KH, DON"T NEED TO HEAR ABOUT THAT EITHER!

·
Banned
732 Posts
Ok, I was told today I have high KH which is causing problems in my tank. I've read alot about the concept of using Pool Acid (HCI Hydrochloric Acid) to dissolve the carbonates in the water therefore lowering the KH. My tap water is about 10 to 12 KH.

I'm not interested in a big debate of whether or not this works or the typical "You will burn your arms" argument. I'm a big boy!!! I'm more interested in anyone what has used this method with success.

There is a very good article with safety and dosing instructions at this website. This article states that as a rule of thumb that 10 mL of 8.7% HCl acid will reduce 425 gallons of water by 5 ppm.

http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/weborder.exe?operation=getdoc&document=xxindex

Anyone use this method with success?

AGAIN, I"M NOT INTERESTED IN "WHY NOT TO DO THIS" COMMENTS!!! AND I KNOW ABOUT RO LOWERING THE KH, DON"T NEED TO HEAR ABOUT THAT EITHER!
Any acid will lower the KH of your water. I use dilute H2SO4. Just use a little at a time and check your pH after each addition to make sure your not going too far. BTW check my signature for a warning!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any acid will lower the KH of your water. I use dilute H2SO4. Just use a little at a time and check your pH after each addition to make sure your not going too far. BTW check my signature for a warning!
Thanks for the info!!

So where can you get H2SO4? That is one thing I like about the Pool Acid, you can get it cheap at a pool supply place.

g

1 - 3 of 3 Posts