Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a pair of apistos, and i want to lower the pH to about 6. i have a piece of driftwood in there, but it isn't leaking any tanins. i added pH lowerer, and it dropped it to about 6.8. i added some more, and the next day i checked and it was at about 7.4 nothing i do is lowering the pH. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to lower it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why not CO2?

Make sure not to use any more pH chemicals. They only work for a day and are probably phosphate based, meaning your in for algae problems. You don't need to lower the pH unless you want to breed them. Fish live and adapt just fine to a wide range of parameters.

You also have the option of peat. Muratic acid (HCl - Hydrochloric acid) can do it, but rarely used. You should be experienced with this as you can easily crash the pH extremely low.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree, it's much harder on the fish to have it bouncing around. Apisto's are very adaptable and they will do fine in a pH of 7.4 or even more.
You can make a peat tea which keeps it fairly stable, but it's a PITA. Some also use crushed up oak leaves scattered on the substrate to lower it a bit if you want to breed them.
I have C02 in 2 out of 3 Apisto tanks, but the one without C02 runs a steady pH of almost 8 and they do just fine. They're even showing signs of wanting to spawn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're Apistogramma Agassizi's. I am trying to breed them, so that's why i want to lower the pH (except i think the female might actually be a male, so lower pH wouldn't make them breed anyway). I still don't have a KH test kit (I know, I know, extremely irresponsible, but I'm going to make an order soon, so I'll get one then), so I don't know what the KH is. however, since the CO2 isn't lowering it, I have a feeling that it's higher than it should be. If that's the case, what should I get to lower the KH?

·
Registered
925 Posts
When doing water changes. Use either Distilled or R.O. (reverse osmosis) water. It has virtually no KH.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Do a KH of 2,
CO2 at 30ppm

Feed lots of live foods and well rounded din din.

Food, rather than pH will induce breeding in most all fish.

Hardness can be knocked down, but peat, low pH's, not that important with many SA fishes. Adding some peat may help with Apisto's, wild ones namely.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts