Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought some ludwigia inclinata 'cuba" and the tops look great. They are in a 90g standard tank. When they get really tall the leaves at the base start to fall off and its just a stem. Am i not fertilizing properly or is there not enough light?

Also the leaves or nodes are spaced further apart than from what I can tell from some pics on this forum. I can post a pic and hopefully someone can help me out.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
It is fairly common for stem plants to lose the bottom leaves as they get taller because they end up getting shaded from above. Some stemmies do it more than others, and I usually attribute that to light requirements. The ones that tend to lose them more generally tend to require more lighting to do well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can you tell us more about your tank parameters? What lighting system are you using? CO2? What about your nutrient regimine?

Given your tank depth, lighting could be an issue. Having grown this plant, I can tell you that nitrogen levels can play a large factor in it's health---'Cuba' is a nitrogen hog. If the tops are stunted or smaller than they should be (new growth should go from small to wide very quickly), it's likely a nutrient issue. I've noticed that plants lacking in nutrients (N & P) will have this symptom and lose lower leaves if CO2 and light is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts