Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good start. I wish they have given you a larger main stone, the one you have has good shape/character but in my opinion undersized for your tank in an iwagumi set up.

Can't wait to see the tree.

-T

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I say "Iwagumi with trees," I just mean Iwagumi with lots of stem plants in the background (rotalas, etc). I would like to try a bonsai tree sometime; it would be very cool.

Julie, that guy is like a mad scientist with his aquascaping! Very original and creative.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update 10/21/2011:

Good growth so far - just added an Oto and a red ramshorn snail:

This particular stem of colorata is growing really nicely and the bottom of the stem (behind the rock; not shown here) is getting a nice red coloring:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! The tank is coming along nicely. I trimmed all old growth on the bella hairgrass and am getting some nice curly new growth in the foreground. The colorata has reached all the way to the surface of the water now. Unfortunately I couldn't take a picture this week because there was a fire in the apartment above me and water flooded our living room. Right now there are plastic tarps covering the front of the tank while they rebuild the living room... Picture updates soon next week hopefully!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update 11/4/2011 - Last week I trimmed the hairgrass using Amano's method - mow all old growth down and keep only the new growth. The rotalas have filled in amazingly well and I'm going to do my first trimming tomorrow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update 11/17/2011 - Added Lily Pipes and 5 veil tail cherry barbs.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/StormAquascapes

This is what the Lily Pipes box looked like when it arrived - I was pretty worried that I would have a box full of glass, but luckily they were intact.

Sorry I don't have a full tank shot; it is very difficult to get one right now because the house being under construction right in front of the tank means I can't get a good perspective.

Left side:

Left side from another angle:

Right side:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time for an update! There is not much to report except that I've done my second large trimming, but I think I didn't trim quite enough. It's grown back very fast, but I should have trimmed lower. It's too bad I didn't read Frank's great ADA/ADG thread until after the trim. Plants have been having great growth, and I've trimmed the grass at least 3 times now (this is less than a week of growth).

I really wanted to thank Frank for the great journal thread because I've already seen a difference in water clarity just from raising my lily pipe to aerate the water the last 2 nights.

FTS:

Side shot (hello, Oto!):

Right side:

Right side:

Left side:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Awesome! Looks like the carpet is filling in nicely :)

Might want to up the iron levels a bit to get better coloration in the Limno aromatica. It's looking a bit pale...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome! Looks like the carpet is filling in nicely :)

Might want to up the iron levels a bit to get better coloration in the Limno aromatica. It's looking a bit pale...
Thanks. Yeah, the aromatica is pale, and the r. colorata is not growing new growth with red stems, so I've started to dose traces (Seachem Flourish - I need to finish this bottle first but I also have a bag of Plantex CSM+B), as well as dosing 3 times weekly phosphate 0.33ppm and K 3.33 ppm.

The carpet is nice, but frustrating - I've mowed it 3 times already. It was sold to me as e. Belem, but it's obviously just regular e. acicularis based on the height. I'm going to have to continue to mow it for the life of the tank... /sigh

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good! :)
Thanks! And, you were right - I didn't trim the rotalas low enough. I just learned the ADA way of trimming... Trim almost to the bottom, then trim 3 more times higher up each time (usually the stem splits into 2). After the 4th trim, on the 5th trim replant the tops to get rid of the mushy lower leaves.

You guys probably already know this, but it was a learning experience for me... lol

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Flourish trace is good stuff. It also has a couple obscure minerals that you won't get in CSM+B - i.e. Vanadium and Rubidium. Mind you, I have no idea what a plant actually uses either of those for (Rubidium allegedly supplements potassium... Vanadium just sounds cool IMO), but they're in there. ;)

If the CSM doesn't improve the coloration in your red plants, you may want to add a bit of iron chelate as well.

·
Registered
894 Posts
After looking at your thick dhg lawn the other day, I decided to mow my belem hairgrass in my 57gal late at night (just finished an hour ago)... Now comes the fun part, waiting for the new growths pop-out and spread out!

- Message posted using Tapatalk app via iPad -

1 - 20 of 32 Posts