Aquatic Plant Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm still angry at the guy that sold me the DHG and said it was e. belem... but at the cost of mowing it weekly, I suppose it does make a nice carpet so I should just be happy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Maybe if you trim them very aggressively, they'll be trained to grow lower in time... Or, just trim them regularly :D

- Message posted using Tapatalk app via iPad -

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I think it's a bit like mowing a real lawn.... the more often you give it a haircut, the better it looks. On the other hand, you can't outsource the aquarium mowing to the neighbor's kid for $10...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I wonder if an aquatic mini mower was already conceptualize, that would be cool and useful for us! Lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A bit of an update - I'm battling some cottony algae that is forming in the hairgrass and on the moss. Other than that, the tank is doing well with great growth.

Right now I'm just dosing P, K, and traces 3 times a week, and doing twice weekly water changes. The plants are really healthy but the cotton candy-like algae is starting to take over:

It's also forming on Fissidens moss I have attached to Ohko stones:

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Gah, I hate that stuff! It shows up in my shrimp tanks and is a total PITA to pull out. I can't think of anything that'll eat it offhand, either... at least not anything small enough to fit in your tank.

However, I'd definitely cut back on the phosphate dosing, it should lower the rate of algae proliferation. Spontaneous algae blooms are often linked to excess phosphates...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It definitely could be the P... I just started dosing P because the GDA I was getting before is caused by a P/N imbalance (too much N and not enough P)... I'm going to cut back and just dose the traces for a little while. It's tough to find the balance but I will get it somehow...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Have you tried spot dosing it with excel/glut? Just trim off the infected area (time to mow the grass again :D) and just keep with the WC... I'd cut back with the trace as well, how much do you dose?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I haven't tried spot dosing - I'm going to try sucking it out during a water change and trim the grass. The cottony stuff is down at the substrate level so it might be hard to get out during a simple trim, but a trim and a light vacuum during a water change will hopefully suck it out.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
IME all vacuuming will do with that type of algae is smush it down closer to the substrate, or clog your siphon. You'd have better luck going in with a stick and spinning it like cotton candy into a ball you can yank out. :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think I got most of it out with my normal siphon - I rubber band a fish net over the tube so that it doesn't suck up the Aquasoil. Luckily it wasn't too entrenched in the hairgrass. I'll post pics in a bit.

I was running 2x T5HO for 8 hours, I think it's too much light and the combination of light + ferts caused the bloom. I disconnected one of the bulbs and I'm going to try 1x T5HO for 10 hours instead... The bulbs are about 16" from the substrate, and I believe each bulb is producing about 38 PAR, although it's hard to tell without my own PAR meter - I'm basing this from Hoppy's data which he collected from someone with the same fixture as me.

I've heard I should be shooting for between 30 and 60 PAR at the substrate. 2 Bulbs would have put me around 76 PAR which is a little high. 38 PAR might be a little low, but it might also be nice not to have to trim every week... lol

21 - 32 of 32 Posts