1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
863 Posts
There is an old kind and a new kind with detergent in them. The old kind (detergent free) is awesome and I use them all the time. Indispensable for general tank maintenance, IMO.

The generic ones work, also, but don't last as long.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When you use them they gradually disintegrate and flatten and get dirty so you will know when it's time to throw them away, promise.

Wi-blue, yep, inside and outside the tank. Totally safe for glass and acrylic. It removes algae and mneral deposits like no one's business. I would rather use a magic eraser over a razor blade for algae any day.

I have a mist type-R tank where the back is rounded at the back corners and using a razor isn't really easy anyway. The eraser conforms to the rounded edges great!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I never would have thought to use these inside the tank! Whenever I use them to clean stuff (scuffs on walls, etc), they leave little bits of themselves all over. But I guess if I scrubbed before/during water change, that wouldn't be an issue for the inside of the tank. Or maybe that doesn't happen if you scrub smooth things like glass? :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
It doesn't happen as badly as rubbing something rough. The filter will catch whatever microscopic particles fall off anyway.

You cant see them in the water and it is inert anyway. I use them all the time. I like them because they "grab" the algae instead of letting it float around in the water, then just rinse it out (maybe with some h202) and let it dry out.

·
Registered
863 Posts
There are four kinds, original,extra power, bath scrubber and kitchen scrubber.

Bath and kitchen scrubbers have detergents in them. Don't use those.

Original and extra power are safe to use. I Prefer original because it's easier to clean in the corners because it is just a rectangular block of melamine foam with "sharp" edges.

Extra power has wavy edges and a textured side with little raised bumps which aren't so good for cleaning aquarium glass compared to the original easer. It is 50% stronger though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had some generic Wal-Mart ones on hand so I used a new one to scrub the algae off the glass during today's water change - it works wonders! And it's silicone-safe. I will never use anything else ever again. :D I especially love that the eraser gets the algae out of the scratches in the glass - my planted tank came to me used and quite scratched, and the credit card I was using before doesn't do a good job on scratches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.